thirty one: keeping the family together

"Maggie?" I yelled as I walked into the infirmary with Daryl, Rick and Dad by my side. Maggie quickly emerged from the corner with her baby Beth engulfed in her arms. Judging by the look on her face, she already knew what we were about to ask her. She had fear and anxiety distinctively written on her face. 

"I swear." She said with a shake in her voice. "I only told her because Sasha is like my sister. I didn't intend to cause troubles." 
"We know." Rick smiled, allowing Maggie to relax. 
"We figured it'd be that." I nodded. "We had to make sure." 

Rick walked forward, pressing his lips onto Maggie's cheek before exiting the room alongside Dad. Daryl approached me, placing a hand on my lower stomach and kissing my temple before following closely behind them. I turned and looked at Maggie, sending a smile to her before sitting down on the chair beside me. Maggie looked down at Beth, and back up at me before walking toward me. 
"You want to hold her?" She smiled. I nodded my head and carefully took the baby into my arms. I cradled the fragile being as I stared into her deep brown eyes. It overwhelmed me to know that mine and Daryl's child would be this small. Judith was on the ground, playing with her toys that Daryl had found on a run not too long ago. 

"You know.." Maggie began as she sat on the chair infront of Judith. "Ever since you have been apart of this group, you're the only one who tries to keep this family together." 
"My family was torn apart years ago." I nodded. "I wasn't going to watch it happen to you all." 
"Yes, but.." she looked at me. "This is your family now, Kaylie. You and Daryl? You have a bond not even the lord himself could part. You'll both make great parents." 
"Even in a world like this?" I scoffed. 
"Yeah.." She smiled. "Even in a world like this." 

Hours later the sun was beginning to set. The orange and yellow tones in the sky set my mind at ease as the blistering hot contents in the coffee mug that sat in my hands,  warming them up while the cool, winter breeze whistled through my body. I brought the mug to my nose, sniffing the caffeinated aurora that flowed through the steam before bringing it  up to my mouth, lightly sipping on the contents. A light moan escaped my lips while my mouth adored the taste. I looked up from my perch on the set of stairs and noticed Daryl who stood beside my father.

There wasn't ever a single moment from the day that I met Daryl when I doubted my feeling for him. It bewildering to the fact on how it started. It began after my father's brutal act against the group and at the sanctuary while he was held captive. The way we would steal glances at each other from across the room. When we'd lock eyes, and the communication would be instant; his eyes would tell me everything that I needed to know. There was always that certain glint in his eyes that made my core throb and my thighs warm. 

After we shared our kiss I knew that I adored him even more and his touch. The way his callused hands felt against  my hips, the always fleeting touch of his fingertips. The way he explored every inch of my skin; It drove me insane. 

I hadn't even realized but by the time I stopped reminiscing on how i felt for my husband, and how he made me feel like this- my coffee mug was empty and Daryl was no longer within sight. I frowned lightly before standing up to my feet and walking into the household that Daryl and I shared.  In the kitchen stood Daryl wearing his usual attire- minus his crossbow. 
"Hey." He gruffly greeted. 
"Hey yourself." I smiled as I placed my coffee mug onto the bench. 
"What was wrong out there?" He questioned. "Ye' were outta' it when I walked past." 
"Oh.." I laughed as I approached him. I looked around the kitchen to notice that Daryl was cooking. "Are you cooking?" 
"How'd ye' know?" He smirked sarcastically. 
"Oh shut up." I lightly smacked his bicep. "But you should stop." I smirked. 
"Why?" He frowned as he placed his hands onto my hips. 
"Because Daryl.." I sighed. "You're not very good at cooking." 

Before I knew it, a screech came out of my mouth and I was holstered onto Daryl's shoulders being carried up the staircase. He lightly, and carefully placed me on the bed and hovered over me. I quickly put my hand on his as his lips found mine before pushing him upwards. 
"What's wrong?" He frowned. 
"Dare.." I dragged. "Did you turn the stove off?" 

Within a second, Daryl was up from the bed and was sprinting down the stairs. I erupted into a fit of laughter.

____

I was woken by the soft glare of the sunlight peeking through our white curtains.  Turning around I snuggled up to Daryl who wrapped his arms tightly around me, dozily breathing a kiss on my hair.

"Ye' are up early." He lazily commented. His voice was drowsy and with a deep yawn he pulled me closer to his bare chest. His warmth made me shiver with comfort. 
"I don't mean to wake you." I whispered back closing my eyes as I listened to his heartbeat. 
"Ye' didn't." He mumbled. "Is the baby causing ye' sleeping problems?" 
"No." I lazily shook my head. 

  I didn't know how much time had passed when I opened my eyes again. I watched the dust dancing in the sun for a while, not sure if I was ready to face the world just yet.
"Ye' awake?" Daryl's voice drew a smile on my face.
"Yeah." I brought my lips to his nose.

"Dare.." I whispered.
"What?" He opened his eyes to meet mine.
"Do you think we'll be good parents?"

Daryl's lips formed a light smile before nodding his head. "I told ye'- ma' father wasn't a good dad to me, but regardless of the circumstances, I'll be a great dad to the soldier that's growin' inside o' ya." He sternly spoke. "And you? You're goin' to to be the best goddamn mother I've ever known."

"You think?" I smiled.
"Na." He shook his head. "U know."