thirty two: flashbacks of the beginning

It was complete chaos. Fire, smoke and death surrounding us. The screams of the children pained my ears and the cries of their families brought tears to my eyes.  My eyes wide and my eyebrows in a frown, panic overwhelmed my body. I saw my car off in the distance, the paint glowed in the rays of the fire. I took a deep breath and sprinted forward, avoiding any person who approached me. "Help!" I heard. I whipped my head around, noticing a small, fragile child hauled up into the form of a ball in the backseat of a car. The windows were rolled up as far as they could go and sweat was pouring off the child's head. The little girl was panicking. She was scratching at the windows which made them bleed from the finger nails. "Shit." I mumbled to myself before I dropped my bag and sprinted to the direction of the car.

"Stop, Stop, Stop." I ordered the child. She looked at me with wide eyes and nodded her head lightly as she stopped stratching at the window. "Will you help me please?" Her delicate voice asked. "My mumma left me, I don't know where she is."

Burning rage hissed through my veins at the thought of a mother leaving her own child in a chaotic time like this. I looked at the child and smiled lightly.

"I'll help you. Just stay there okay." I nodded before turning around and looking around the car park for a weapon. Off in the distance was a wood axe. I leaned against a car that someone had obviously left there while in panic mode. I turned back to the child who was continuing to cry. "Please, no. Don't leave me."

"Sweetheart.." I got closer to the window. "See that big red car over there?" I pointed to the Range Rover that was parked 50 metres away. The little girl nodded her head and looked back at me. "I'm going to run over there and get the axe that is over there. I can break into the car with that. I just need you to stay strong and be a big girl okay?"

"Okay.." She nodded reluctantly. I held up my hand for her to stay before I sprinted off to the car ahead. People were running infront of me in all kinds of directions. It bewildered me to know that all of these people and not one of them stopped to help the girl. I finally reached the car, picking up the axe and turning around to run back to the little girl. But when I turned to look, It pained me to see what was happening. The cannibals had found the little girl and smashed into the window. Her screams brought tears to my eyes, and her cries crushed my heart. I watched shockingly as the biters tore open her flesh, and as she took her last breaths, I could see her eyes stare into mine.

"Kaylie!" A voice screamed. "Goddamn it, Kaylie wake up!"

I pushed myself forward, sweat dripping off my forehead as I heaved for breath.

"Shit, babe." Daryl groaned as he wrapped his arms around me. "Are ye' alright?"

"I-I.." I wanted to speak, but I couldn't. The words wanted to come out but it seemed as though they were wedged in my throat, unable to escape.

"Shit.." He mumbled. He brought an old rag up to my forehead, wiping the sweat away.

"What happened?" He asked.

I took a deep breath and turned to look at my husband. "It was a flashback, I guess."

"A flashback of wha'?" He frowned.

"I came out of work one day to the town in flames. That was when I had found out about it all.. I only found out after the walkers had started to run around.. I was running to my car when a little girl was locked in a car. I tried to help her but I-- The walkers they--."

"Hey.." Daryl soothed. "You obviously tried your damned hardest to get to tha' little girl."

"I did!" I sobbed. "But If i had of been quicker would I have..."

"Don't.." He said. "You tried, Kaylie. You're 8 months pregnant, this isn't good for the baby."

He was right. My child was going to be here any day now. I made a promise to myself at that time. I wasn't going to let my child fail in this world. They were going to beat it, and they were going to grow old with Daryl and I by their side. What I failed at in saving that little girl, I was going to ensure to do the opposite for my child.

"You're right." I sighed, leaning into his touch.

_______