Chapter Fifty-One - The Dominoes Come Crashing Down

KATIE'S POV

   Right now, the mood feels like one in a police interrogation scene in a crime show. Mom is on the couch, she looks as if she's about to burst into tears. Dad takes a chair from the kitchen and sets it in front of the couch. I sit down without Dad needing to tell me to.

  Dad sits down next to Mom. "Katie, you're probably going to have a hard time doing this, but please don't say anything until we're done speaking." Mom says in a gentle voice. She looks me into my eyes, her eyes have became a bit glassy, and then at Dad. "Do you want to start or should I?" she asks.

   Dad shrugs and says that he'll do whatever she wants to do. He puts a hand on her shoulder and she nods as she turns back to look at me. "I want to apologize for the way I reacted, when you asked about Mary." she says. "And the way we've reacted to all your other questions and attempts."

"We just have wanted to keep you from those answers for as long as we could. However, we both agree it's time you got the answers." Dad says.

   Dad proceeds to explain to me that in order for me to understand the answers, I'll need to know about everything from the beginning. I don't respond, I keep my promise to listen and refrain from speaking. Although, the urge to make a comment here and there is strong.

   The beginning of everything starts with a visit to the doctor. At the age of twenty-three and twenty-five, my parents had begun trying to make their family of two into a family of three. They had been trying for over a year at this point, only results of their tries were negative signs and one pink line.

  That day at the doctor's office, Mom describes as "hard". The doctor had done tests and the results stated that my parents' chances of naturally-conceiving were less than 10%.. The doctor recommended trying IVF or using fertility drugs. Neither option was cheap. However, my parents wanted to give it a try.

   Mom put a hold on law-school, and Dad got a second-job. At the time, he didn't have his current job. He used to be a wielder and then he also became a waiter. Mom took up a job at a grocery store in the produce section. Budget cuts were made, but they were able to afford a round of IVF.

   IVF is basically where both baby-making-ingredients are taken out, mixed together in a dish to make embryos, and then implanted in the woman. The IVF was a success, my parents' "miracle baby" had been made.

  Mom and Dad were both careful about the pregnancy. Mom read all the books she could and ate healthy. "We couldn't have been more careful." Mom says.

   Twenty-three weeks into the pregnancy, they found out they were having a girl. They painted the nursery pink and brown. Bought furniture, stuffed toys, blankets, diapers, clothes, and much more. A baby shower was held. Maternity photos were taken. Names were talked over, until they decided on one.

   At forty weeks, right on time, Mom gave birth to a healthy baby girl. Seven pounds and ten ounces of perfect. Her name was Mary Loraine. The image of the picture from the attic of the baby in the hospital cot flashes in my mind. My parents proceed to tell me about how they took her home, loved  her and got to experience all the little moments. Mom quit her job to be home full-time when Mary turned four months old. Four months old... I repeat in my head. I stare down at my hands, trying to process everything.

   Around Mary's tenth month of life, Mom got into a bad car accident with Mary in the car. Someone ran a red light and slammed into a car, which created a domino like effect. Mom's car was the third car involved, two other cars slammed into her. She was knocked unconscious.

   She woke up in the hospital several hours later. At first, she couldn't comprehend a whole lot. She didn't understand why her body hurt so much or why there were monitors attached to her. First thing she realized was that Dad was in the hallway. He was crying like full-out sobbing.