Chapter Eleven - (Not) A Walk in the Park

Katie's POV

  Murdering your project partner is illegal. I remind myself as I dial his number. We agreed to meet around eleven o'clock this morning. It's almost one o'clock in the afternoon. I have called him three times in the last hour. Dominick jokingly offered to drive over to Sawyer's house and "teach him a lesson"; however, he quickly dropped the joke when he realized I was actually considering his offer.

"I have enough reason to be called an 'unfit father'." he said to me.

  Standing in the living room with the phone to my ear, I remind myself to stay calm because if I yell at Sawyer then he'll hang up.

"Hey could you hold on a se-." Sawyer says when he answers the phone. And that's when the camel's back breaks.

  Oh that's it! I think. "Shove your excuse your *ss, and then get your *ss over at my house before I personally go over to your house and murder you!" The last part actually sounded like a genuine threat. I hear lots of movement on the Sawyer's side of the line. 

  Then I hear a woman say something along the lines of, "That's quite a foul mouth." and "Do I need to call the cops?" Sawyer says something to the woman and then starts talking to me.

"That was my aunt... we were in the middle of eating lunch when my phone went off." he says.

"Tell me that 'we' only means you two." I pray.

"My family has a no phone policy at lunch and if a phone does go off... You have to turn on speaker phone." Sawyer says.

I put the phone on mute. "Damn it!" I yell. I un-mute the phone and return to talking to Sawyer. "You still have to come over today though." I say.

"I know, and I'll be there around two o'clock, that's when everyone usually starts to leave." he says.

  After hanging up the phone, I turn around and see Dominick walking down the stairs. He looks at me and must see the embarrassment on my face. "Speaker phone?" he asks.

I nod my head. "Rookie error." He says giving me a sympathetic look.

          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

   "Your niece is pretty loud." Sawyer says looking toward Dominick's closed bedroom door across the hall. Sawyer arrived a little over an hour ago, and we've struggled to concentrate on anything except Mollie, who is really using her lungs, for the past ten minutes.

   What started her crying? Dominck left his phone in his bedroom where Mollie was napping. When he couldn't find his phone, he decided to call it using the home phone. Ever since, Mollie has refused to go back to sleep or calm down.

  I try to get my attention back on writing the script, but I can't. I ask Sawyer to try and work on the script while I see if I can give Dominick a hand.

"Katie, thank goodness!" Dominick practically shouts to be heard over the crying when I walk into his bedroom. He's holding Mollie and doing a slight swaying motion.

"What can I do?" I ask holding my arms out to take Mollie.

   Dominick hands her over to me without hesitation. He quickly grabs "What Expect in the First Year" book off his bedside table. Mom bought him the book right after the ER visit. Dominick franticly flips through the pages in search of something useful.

"I've tried practically everything the book recommends to calm down a baby!" Dominick says frustrated. He throws the book down onto the bed.

"What haven't you tried?" I ask while trying to put a pacifier in Mollie's mouth. Mollie turns her head away and continues to scream.

"A walk or a drive, but the parents were clear on their feelings with you being home alone with a boy."

"Grab your car keys, I'll talk to Sawyer." I say. I hand Mollie back to Dominick and go back to my bedroom.

  Sawyer is actually working on the script when I walk back into the room. "You get a 'Get Out Of Jail' free card." I say. Sawyer doesn't say or do anything. "Hurry up, my brother and I will drive you home." I say putting my shoes on.

"Why am I leaving so early? Wasn't it you who threatened to murder me if we didn't make progress?" he says with a raised eyebrow.

  I explain how we need to drive Mollie around to calm her down; and it would save us gas if we dropped him off while we were out.

"There is another way we can calm your niece down and get our work done." Sawyer says putting on his shoes. He gives me this look, he has an idea. "Doesn't your neighborhood have a park?" he asks. No way, no way, I'm not even going to let his idea be heard.

~~~~~~~~~~~

   Carrying a notebook and a pencil case, I step out onto the front porch. Dominick is ahead pushing the baby stroller. Mollie is still crying and I can see frustration on Dominick's face.

"Well, the park isn't going to come to us." Sawyer says coming up beside me.

"This is going to be a walk in the park." I mumble to myself. Sawyer walks ahead in front of me. Dominick begins leading the way to the park.

Walk in the park, this most certainly will not be.

**AUTHOR'S NOTE***

Horrible chapter, probably the worst I've written yet. I wanted to get this chapter out to you guys as soon as I could. These past fews weeks have been nuts. Big end of the year tests to study for. Hopefully things will be easier once summer starts.

  Please don't give up on me.

LIKE, COMMENT, FOLLOW, do what you want.

THANK YOU FOR READING!