Chapter One - You Always Find Ways to Disappoint

SEPTEMBER 2013

DOMINICK'S POV

   My parents are at odds in regards to what they should do about me. My dad is more than ready to throw me into a teen-help program or sending me away to reformatory-school. However, my mom doesn't agree. They've been fighting downstairs for a while since I arrived home, way passed curfew. 

 Occasionally, I'll hear them slightly lower their voices in attempts to not wake my younger sister, Katie. Unfortunately, they have failed miserably.

  Katie is currently standing in my doorway with her arms crossed. Her light brown hair is in two separate braids. "I don't even know what to say to you." she says before shutting the door and walking to her bedroom.

  I can tell that I've disappointed her and I'm tempted to walk over to her room, but I'm exhausted. I can always apologize tomorrow. I've been out with friends and I have barely been home ten minutes. Besides, this time I had a good reason to break curfew. My best friend, Linkon, was way too hammered to even stand, there was no way he could drive home.

  I explained this to the parents, but did they care? Nope, not a single bit. Didn't even help my case. They should be happy that I did the right thing and drove Linkon home. Dad is always talking about how dangerous drunk drivers are. I kept someone, who was clearly drunk, off the road. Possibly saving a life or two.

   I'm lying in my bed reflecting on the night's events. Did we do some crazy things? Defiantly. However, aside from underaged drinking and tresspassing, we didn't do anything illegal. Nothing serious. All we did was hang out on an abandoned lot, as we always do, joking around while drinking beer and smoking a little. It was fun time with friends, and I don't see anything wrong with it.

~~~~~

  A loud noise wakes me up. It's only thunder. I tell myself as I turn in bed. I shut my eyes and begin to try to fall asleep. Not even a heartbeat later there's the loud noise again, this time I realize someone is banging on the door.

  I hear the sound of soft footsteps on the staircase, it's Mom, no doubt. If it were Dad the footsteps would be louder than the banging on the door. He'd also be saying something like, "Who the hell is banging on the door at this hour?"

   I hear Mom walk down the stairs. I slowly get out of bed and open my bedroom door. "Who's at the door?!" I call out at the same moment Mom yells, "DOMINICK! GET DOWN HERE!"

  Katie and I both seem to full emerge from our rooms at the same time. "Coming Mom!" I yell as I hurry down the stairs.

  I find Mom standing in the front entrance with her back to me. "What's wrong Mom?" I ask. I hear her let out a sound like scoff.

"Somehow I'm not surprised." she says as she turns around. It takes a moment for me to realize what she is holding in her arms. When I do, I'm speechless.

It's a baby. A small baby.

~~~

  Everyone is now fully-awake and sitting in the living room. Mom is sitting on the couch with the baby resting on her chest. No one has said much, but everyone clearly has something to say. 

  The baby is wearing a pink little cap along with a small pink onesie, clearly a girl. Katie breaks the silence. "Let me get this straight. Some random girl just dropped off her baby at our doorstep?" she asks looking at Mom.

"According to the girl it's Dominick's." Mom says looking at me. "She said she left a note in the baby bag." Mom adds gesturing to the large brown and green diaper bag sitting at her feet.

"It's probably just some sick prank." I say. "Let me read the note." I hold out my hand. Mom gestures for Dad to grab the diaper bag and retrieve the note. Dad digs around in the bag for a minute or two before pulling out a few papers stapled together with slightly-neat handwriting sprawled across the pages.

  I take the note from him and begin reading it.

Dominick,

This is your daughter. She's five weeks old. I know this may seem to unreal, but it is true. This is your baby, you're a daddy. Sorry to tell you like this, but what choice did I have. You wouldn't answer my calls or texts. Her name is-

  I stop reading and flip to the end in search for the name of whoever wrote the letter. When I can't find it, I begin asking Mom questions. "What did this girl look like? How could you let her leave?"

"The second I opened the door she quickly said, 'It's Dominick's and there's a note in the bag explaining everything' and ran away." Mom looks like she wants to yell at me, but she keeps her voice down to prevent scaring the baby.

"What did she look like?" I ask. This baby can't be mine. I mean, technically it is possible being that haven't been a virgin since I was fifteen and I've gone to bed with a few girls; but I always made sure to use protection. Not to mention, I would have known if the girl I was with got pregnant.

"It was dark. All I know is that she had long dark colored hair." Mom says.

  Dark colored hair, that's not a lot to go off. However, assuming the hair is their nature color, it narrows the possible girls down. I have only slept with two dark haired girls; and using that information, I can narrow it down to one, since I had sex with one of the girls only a few months ago.

  Couldn't be Nikki. I think.

  Nikki is the only possibility, but she shouldn't be a possibility. Yes, we had sex frequently throughout our two years relationship. However, we broke up a year ago, only hooking up one time after the break up, but that was... almost a year ago.

"Oh sh*t, the baby might be mine." I blurt out my thoughts before I can stop myself. I look at my parents and Katie who don't seem in the least surprise. Dad lets out a breath, "Well, can't say I didn't think something like this would happen."

  Nobody says it, but they don't need to. I can hear it loud and clear. "Always finds a way to disappoint us, don't you Dominick."

**AUTHOR'S NOTE**

Oh my goodness! This update is long overdue! Sorry for anyone who's been waiting for an update. School has been insane so I haven't had much time to write. Things are cooling down now so this story should get a new chapter at least every other week. THANK'S FOR READING! HOPE YOU ENJOYED IT!

Next chapter you'll learn a few things about Dominick in Katie.