Chapter Seventeen - Hitting Things Off

KATIE'S POV

   The panic of trying to find the right outfit to wear is consuming. Sawyer invited me to his house for the New Years Eve party his family is having; and I want to make a good impression on his family. The first-impression was horrible; therefore, I want to ensure a grea second impression. Sawyer didn't tell me if the dress-code was casual or formal.

   Sadly, I don't have a formal-casual outfit. I'm going through my closet for the fourth time when Mom walks in. "Katie, why aren't you dressed yet? I said we would be leaving in-"

"I know Mom, but I can't find anything to wear." I interrupt.

   Mom looks at the watch on her wrist. "Come with me." she says holding her hand out to me. I take her hand and let her take me up the stairs up to my parents' bedroom. Their bedroom is the only room on the third story.

   She opens the door to the walk-in closet Dad and her share. I sit on their king-sized bed while she goes through her clothes in the closet. "It's in here." I hear her mumble to herself. Eventually she comes out with a deep red-wine colored blouse and a black shirt with black leggings attached. She lays the outfit out next to me. I try the outfit on and Mom leads me into the master-bathroom to have a look in the full-sized mirror. When I look in the mirror I see what I saw the day at the mall. Not Mom or Dad but something else, someone else staring. It's me, and only me. Strange how clothes and accessories can do that to a person.

   Mom lets me finish getting ready in the master-bathroom. Downstairs I find her holding Mollie,  Mom kisses Mollie's chubby cheeks. "Mollie wanted to meet her future uncle." Mom jokes when she sees me.

  I roll my eyes. "More like, Dominick didn't want to watch her." I say.

"Katie." Mom says in a stern warning tone. Her and I begin to head out the door to the driveway. "Your brother tries his best. You can't expect him to go from... what he was to best dad in the world." She says as she unlocks the car doors.

"It's been months and the most improvement I have seen is he will help out." I say getting into the car.

"Katie, enough." Mom says buckling Mollie into her car seat.

   On the drive, Mom plays this classical music CD, which was one of Mollie's presents. Studies claim that classical music makes babies smarter. I don't think Mollie needs to listen to classical music. Her developmental pace is perfect, just like her.

DOMINICK'S POV

   "Hey, where's Mini-Dude?" Linkon asks as he enters my bedroom. I'm cleaning up my room as a way to bring in the new year; because nothing says "Happy New Year" like a clean room. At least, according to my parents.

  "My mom took baby along with her to drop off Katie. She's going to see that boy again." I say throwing some dirty clothes in a hamper I got from the laundry room.

   Linkon picks up the school textbooks I have on the floor. He puts them on my bookshelf, which is more used to store my DVD and video game collection. All my books are either downstairs in the main bookshelf or scattered around my room. "Dude, you gotta let that day go. Katie doesn't hold it against you that you forgot Mini-Dude."

"I was slightly focused on something else." I say in defense.

"Well, being that we've had this exact conversation ten times already. Therefore, I will start a new conversation. My mom is sending me to live with Ape till the end of the school year."

"What!" I say. I come to a halt. "What possessed her to do some sh*t like that?"

"Two weeks with that Ape, one of us will be leaving in a body bag, and it won't be me." He grumbles, meaning the last part.