Chapter Thirty - Blame

DOMINICK'S POV

"She still hasn't woken up." I say pacing around the hospital room. I glance up at the clock, its a quarter past one in the morning. My parents have gotten a hotel room nearby, and Katie left around ten o'clock. We all took turns staying with Mollie while the others walked around or ate in the cafeteria while they were here.

Now, it's only Linkon and me left here. Tyde had to go home, her mother called and ordered she come home. Before she left, Linkon and her went outside and had a talk in private. After the talk was done, Linkon came in with no sign that he was slapped. He told me that the two of them had made their peace, and she said she'd be back tomorrow.

"Dominick, we had this conversation three minutes ago. The doctor said that Mollie was running such a high fever, that her body now is cooling down. It could take a little longer for her to wake up." Linkon says.

"How much longer?" I ask still pacing.

"I don't know, I'm not a doctor." Linkon replies. "Let's go on a walk."

"We went one earlier." I say.

"Yeah, two hours ago. Five minutes, that's all and we can come straight back." he says.

"Linkon, I-"

"Don't fight me on this, staring at her won't help. A five minute walk to clear our heads." he says.

I let out a sigh and agree. I take one last look at Mollie, asleep and hooked up to the machines, before opening the door. I take extra precaution to avoid being too loud, Mollie was moved up to the pediatric unit of the hospital. There's probably a lot of children sleeping now, and I don't want to the be reason for waking them up.

Linkon and I go on the elevator and head to the ground floor. We go outside to the little garden-sanctuary. The area is lit up by tiny lights on the ground, and a few of the flowers appear to be glowing. Man, I'm turning into such a girly-man! I think when I realize my urge to admire the beautiful flowers. I know there's nothing wrong with a guy liking flowers or gardening, but last year I wouldn't give flowers a second look.

That baby sure has changed me. For both the better and a bit for the worse. The better is it's a lot harder to get drunk at night; because of the fact that you can't have your head in the toliet and be drugged from Aspirin while watching a seven month old.

"Dominick, I gotta tell you something." Linkon says sitting on a bench. I sit next to him and can feel the mood around us change.

"You took me a garden, at night, and now you gotta something to tell me... hmm.. I would have preferred dinner first." I joke.

"Oh no! I have ruined the night by not taking you out to dinner, forgive me of my sin!" Linkon jokes back. We both chuckle, but he makes a clearing throat sound. "On the serious note, I've avoided telling you this for reasons I don't wish to reveal." he says.

Linkon and I are close, but we both keep our secrets. A good example, I don't talk about her, bio-mom, or memories of my life before with him. He doesn't talk about the real cause of his bone fractures, or random black eyes. What makes us such great friend is the fact that the other doesn't bug the other for answers.

I try to explain to Katie that some questions won't be answered instantly, or in same cases ever. Her constant bugging for answers can frustrate the ohter person. She's been working on dropping things, but a majority of the time she bugs people for answers.

"What is it?" I ask noticing Linkon's whole demeanor change. He's tensed up and look almost to be in pain.

Linkon lets out a sigh. "I fathered a kid." he confesses. "I had a kid a while back." His voice is barely above a whisper.