Chapter Twenty Eight - Too Much

KATIE'S POV

   I froze. We had no idea whether or not Mollie was on the edge of dying, we needed an ambulance, and I froze. My body wouldn't move. My mind wasn't reacting to what was happening. Dominick ran Mollie into the hospital. I didn't follow him inside.

   I'm sitting in the back of the car. My mind hasn't fully comprehended that this is real. Dominck probably hasn't even noticed that I'm not there. He may not notice my absence for quiet a while. What could have possibly happened? Did something happen while I was at school? What if Mollie... doesn't make it out okay; that could be all my fault.

   There's a soft knock on the window. I turn my head and find Linkon standing outside. He gestures for me to open the door. What is he doing here? I ask myself as I unlock the door. Linkon doesn't give me the chance to open the door. Once he hears the lock unlocking, he swings open my door. "Hey K-TIe." he says. He says his nickname for me as if this were an ordinary day. He doesn't appear panicked or worried. Does that mean... I end the thought to prevent getting my hopes up.

"Your brother sent me out here to get you." he says. He holds his hand out to help me out of the car; but I don't reach for it. 

I look at the floorboard. "How is she?" I ask.

"Doctors are running some test and put an IV in. They say she was brought in just in time." he says. "Now, come on out." he says still holding out his hand.

"I can't move." I say quietly.

"Yes, you can Katie. You're in shock." he says. "I'll help you out."

"Everything in my life is either falling apart or really sc*wed up." I say still staring at the floorboards.

"I understand the feeling, but it's because of that feeling that you have to keep moving. Don't be still and get stuck in your cr*ppy circumstances because that's no way to live." he says. "Dominick needs you more than he's letting on." he says.

   Dominick needs me? My big brother actually needs me? Even if Linkon is telling me a lie to get me out of the car. The possibility that he's telling the truth and Dominick needs me, is reason enough for me to get out of the car. I take Linkon's hand and he helps me out of the car.

   He guides me through the hospital double doors and past the emergency room reception desk. It doesn't take long to find Dominick. He's sitting outside one of the emergency room's examining rooms. The door is shut. He's sitting on the floor with his back to the wall. He glances over and sees Linkon and I coming. He lets out a sigh and looks the other way.

   Linkon puts his hand on my shoulder, "Remember keep going." he says. He takes his hand off my shoulder. I walk toward Dominick. I try and think of something to say as I get closer; but this is one of the times in my life I don't have any plan. I'll simply speak from the heart or say what comes to mind. 

   I sit down beside him on the floor. He doesn't look at me or say anything. He simply keeps looking at the ceiling. 

"You didn't do anything wrong." I say.

  Dominick doesn't respond. He closes his eyes and leans his head against the wall. I put my hand on Dominick's shoulder like Linkon did with me. "I'm serious Dominick. You did nothing wrong." Still no response. He doesn't open his eyes and look at me. He doesn't nod. He simply doesn't do anything. He doesn't even let out a sigh.

 Through his silence I get a reply. He's asking me to give him some space. I do a little sad-but-understanding smile and drop my hand from his shoulder. "Okay, I'll give you some space." I say softly. I get up off the floor. "I'll be in the cafeteria." I say.