Chapter Forty-One - A Prison of Words

DOMINICK's POV

  "Incredible." I say completely dumbfounded. I stand in front of one of the baby-food aisle at Swaddled-Tottle, which is more like a baby-supplies warehouse than store. Everything baby or toddler related that has ever existed, this store has. Tyde, Mollie, and I were on our way to meet Mom and Katie downtown for lunch when it was discovered I forgot to pack baby food in the baby bag.

   Luckily Tyde knew the this area and where to find Swaddle-Tottle, her mother's friend used to be the manager at the Swaddle-Tottle. However, I wish Tyde would have mentioned how big this place was. I would have preferred shopping at a place a bit... simpler. There are like twenty types of carrots and each one claims to be healthier than all the rest.

   No preservatives? Soy-protein? No high fructose syrup? What do any of these mean? I knew I should have looked more into the whole 'What to Feed Your Baby' topic. Tyde is in the bathroom changing Mollie's diaper, and I really don't want to give her a chance to tease me about not being able to pick out baby food. I pick up a jar of organic soft-small carrots, because Mollie is really obsessed with carrots right now. Katie has been suggesting we introduce Mollie to a bit more solid foods because Mollie's gotten two new teeth this month.

    I push the cart and search for some more baby food with familiar sounding terms. "Wholesome rice cereal?" I say voicing my confusion. "I think Katie mentioned rice cereal being one of the foods to introduce Mollie to.... but what does wholesome mean?" I read the back of the box hoping for some clarification, but only find facts about how healthy and great it is for a baby's development; which sounds reason enough to put it in the cart. Can't hurt to try.

  Never would have imagined that me inviting Tyde to go suit-shopping with Katie and Mom, that it would also involve a detour to a baby store. Wouldn't hurt to grab some diapers and more formula while I'm here. I think to myself.

 I'm both impressed and surprised about how many diaper brands this store holds; and I'm surprised that I'm even surprised. Of course, each diaper brand, like the baby food brands, swears to be the best. One of them has a "gentle soothing effect" and will help the baby sleep. Others have "easy flexibility" ideal for a developing baby. However, I chose to stick with the brand that seems to be doing just fine for Mollie. 

  I'm putting another pack into the cart when Tyde comes around the corner. She has Mollie balanced on her hip and both seem to be engaged in a conversation. Mollie is "talking" and Tyde, with an amused grin, responds with an, "Uh-huh". She must spot me out of the corner of her eye because she turns onto the aisle instead of continuing to the baby food section. "All clean." she says as she steps closer. 

 I hold my hands out to take Mollie. "Was it as bad as it smelled?" I ask. I give Tyde a thankful and apologetic look. 

"Prettiest poop, you'd ever see." she replies. 

"My own little Leonardo D'Vinci." I say. I lift Mollie up over my head a bit which makes her giggle. This is currently one of the ways to get Mollie to call down when she's fussy. Lift her up, lower her back down, up, down, up, down, and she goes from fussing to laughing. Of course, I have to be careful and not do the too quick or too much, or else I take a one-man trip to Barf-City. 

"Yes, because poop is truly a masterpiece." Tyde says sarcastically. 

   I chuckle and set Mollie into the cart's seat. "I'm going to grab some more baby formula while we're here. Have any clue where that could be?" I ask. 

"It's probably going to be close to where all the breast-feeding stuff is." Tyde replies. She points toward the north-east direction.

"Why would it be there?" I ask.