Chapter Thirty-Two - Times Never to be Forgotten (Part Two)

DOMINCK'S POV

   Is it possible for someone to be so happy while changing a dirty diaper? Having Mollie wake up makes changing a dirty diaper a happy moment. I practically set off celebratory fireworks when I heard her tiny cry. I had fallen asleep and woke up when she started crying.

   The doctor came in and said that Mollie appears to be making a great recovery. She'll be staying in the hospital for at least one more day for observation. "

   I finish changing her diaper and I hold her close. Before she woke up, I'd found myself thinking about my life before Mollie. I thought about all those drunken nights and all those stupid decisions. Hurting Katie the way I did, and tossing our relationship away as if it were trash, that was among one of the stupiest things. I thought about a world without Mollie. What would I have become?

  There would have been no recovering. If the world had lost Mollie, I would have lost myself. Luckily, that will never happen because Mollie is okay. I'll be extra sure to take care of her and keep her from getting so sick.

   Linkon went to pick up Katie from the house. He's a great friend to have at times like this. I look down at my daughter and smile. I turn to share my joy with someone, but I quickly remember that there's no one. I'm alone.

  I realize that Mollie will never know her mother, really know her. All she'll ever hear are stories about Nikki. No matter how great the story may be, Mollie won't know how truly wonderful her mother was. Nikki was hardly ever acted un-b*tch-like, but there were times where I'd see another person. A completely amazing girl who was funny, lovely, and completely scared of showing herself.

  I loved both versions of her, but I loved and adored the Nikki that barely showed. I shift Mollie to where she's looking at me. "Has daddy ever told you about the time Mommy and him went to the fair?" I know I hadn't shared the story with her, but I was about to.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
JULY 2012

2 YEARS PRIOR

   "Damn bugs!" I exclaim as I swat a mosquito on my arm. The focus of the fair is to celebrate the summer beginning. However, I think mosquitoes are getting the real treat, an all-you-can-eat human buffet. In all honesty, I didn't want to come to the fair tonight.

   Nikki got to choose what we did for our date. She loves these types of things. Her parents, being the strict parents they are, never took Aria and Nikki to events like this. I should have known Nikki would want to do this; but I still hoped this wouldn't happen. I hoped Nikki would want to go to dinner, a movie, or even hang around her house. Obviously, that didn't happen.

  I swat away a few more bugs who want to make a meal out of me. "Remind me why I agreed to this?" I asked looking around. All the lights from food-vendor carts, rides, games, and lights so people don't walk around blind. The music is way too loud, and I'll be deaf after about an hour here. To make the music situation worse, it's all music from wanna-be famous teenagers from around here.

"Because you love me. And it's my turn to choose." Nikki says offering me some cotton candy. First thing she did when we got here, bought herself some cotton candy. She's been shoving handfuls of that stuff into her mouth for about five minutes. Completely ignoring her boyfriend, who was being eaten alive.

"How are you not getting bitten?" I ask as I resist the urge to itch my arm.

"My magic powers." Nikki says. She gives me an annoyed look, "Bug spray, idiot." she says completely annoyed.

 You love this girl, why? I ask myself this question about a hundred times everytime her and I are together. One moment, she can be happy and making light-hearted jokes. The next, she wants my head on a pick.