Chapter Five - One Chance

KATIE'S POV

   Mom and Dad are trying to get Dominick to want to fight for joint-custody. They are hoping that him being around his daughter might give him enough reason clean up his act. Good luck to them, my brother seems pretty content with his lifestyle at the moment.

  I lay on my bed and stare at the ceiling. I'm trying to figure out and understand why Nikki would kill herself. Was it a really bad case of postpartum depression? Was it all to escape e responsibility? If she didn't want the responsibility she could have given the baby  up for adoption.

  Nikki was a very strange girl, but she wasn't crazy. She wouldn't have killed herself, for no good reason, right?

  There's a knock on my door. I turn on my side with my back facing he door. I hear it open. "Mom, I'm not going to apologize." I say in response.

"Don't expect you to." Dominick says. I instantly sit up and look over at him. My head being struck with a little dizziness. I gesture for Dominick to sit on the end of my bed.

   He looks me in the eye as he sits down. "Katie, I'm not going to tell you any bull sh*t, I'll be complete honest with you. I don't want the baby. I know what giving up this baby would mean. She'd grow up with her maternal grandparents, who would play the part of parents." he says.

"Thank you for not bull sh*tting me, but it's not fair to our parents. Nor me. We are also her family and we want to be a part of her life." I reply.

"Oh please, you guys 'want her'. Up until yesterday, none of us knew she even exsisted." Dominick says . My blood begins to boil. "You always do this!" I want to yell at him. Every time he gets into a situation he doesn't like he tries to weasel his way out. Most of the time he succeeds; but this time I'm determined to make him face what he's done. Take responsibility.

"One chance!" I blurt out. "Please give her one chance!" Give her the chance you never gave me. My tone sounds so desperate. Perfect. Dominick and I may not be close, but I do know some ways of getting him to listen. I lay back down and turn away from him so he can't see my face, "Forget it.... Get out."

"Katie, plea-"

"Get out!" I say again. I don't let him see my face. He leaves the room a few seconds later.

~~~~~~~~~~

DOMINCK'S POV

   I can't be considering this. It's madness. My parents went to bed an hour ago. I'm on baby duty for the night. I pace around the living room around the Rock N' Play.

"Look, kid... You don't want a dad like me. I had a dad a lot me and look where I've ended up." I say picking the baby up out of the Rock N'Play.

  She looks at me with those big eyes. It's like she's trying telling me something telepathically.

"You can't want me to consider the whole joint-custody thing. You want your other grandparents."

  The baby lets out a little coo. Okay, that's pretty cute. I think as I adjust her in my arms. "Do you want me to take care of you?"

I'm going insane! As if she can understand what I'm saying, the baby makes a little noise and moves her arms a bit.

  What would Nikki say to me? "Grow a pair?" or maybe she would actually be friendly and say, "You can do it." Nikki... she didn't want to be a parent, and she carried the baby for nine months. I only met this kid yesterday. What qualifies me to be a parent?

"I'm not going to be a very good daddy." But, I could try... Maybe.

***AUTHOR'S NOTE*** 500 Reads! Oh my gosh, I can't believe it! Thank you so much everyone! School has gotten me really busy, but I'm trying my best to get this chapters out.

Sorry for any errors that was written on my iPod.

Next chapters are going to be a lot about Katie. Get to know her and then I'll shift focus back to Dominick and his daughter.

Nikki's dead... Wow.

VOTE, COMMENT, FOLLOW, Do whatever you want.

THANKS FOR READING! HOPE YOU ENJOYED IT!