Chapter Twelve - Magic of a Smile

Dominick's POV

   Mollie finally calmed down and now is enjoying the fresh air the park provides. Katie and her boy-friend are around the park somewhere working. I'm sitting down on a bench looking at my phone. Linkon, my best friend, has been texting me some details about this job opportunity. His uncle owns a small convenience store and there's a possible job there for me.

   Details I already know regarding the job are I'd work from the time I get out of school till eight at night. The pay is about eight bucks an hour. Details I don't know are how many days I'd be working a week; and whether or not I could have Mollie with me at least some of the time.

   Linkon's uncle is pretty easy-going and hopefully would let me bring Mollie in with me a few times a week. My parents would cut me some slack if I were to have and job while still being able to watch Mollie.

  Dad's been on my *ss about being unemployed, my bad grades, and my reliance on Katie when it comes to watching Mollie. In my defense regarding the Katie thing, she is amazing with babies. Leaving Mollie with her feels like a no-brainer.

   Besides, men aren't expected to instantly become these great dads. They usually have nine months to prepare themselves. I've only had a month and a half. I've kept Mollie alive, clean, and fed. That should count for something.

"Hello... Buggie." I say to Mollie in my baby-talk tone. Lately, I've been trying to come up with a cute nickname for her. Nothing seems to stick. Last week she was, Ollie. The week before that she was, Mo. It's challenge. Mollie doesn't help with the nickname problem. She doesn't seem to give any reaction to the nicknames, or her name, or even really me.

   For all I know, she hates both her name and all the nicknames I come up with.

   "Show me a smile, I know you can smile." I say continuing my baby talk. Mollie has smiled before. Mostly for Katie, any smiles I see from her are usually a reflex while she's asleep. I've been trying to get a picture of her smiling, a real smile; but noting works.

   A lot of my classmates, mostly female, want to see a picture of Mollie; but all the photos I have on my phone are of her looking boring. She stares at the camera and does nothing. A crying picture would make me look like a bad dad, which everyone thinks I already am. The guys aren't very supportive or encouraging of me being a single-father.

   I have my phone out ready to take a picture at the push of a button. "Come on, one smile. One smile." I say. I try making a few funny faces, but zero reaction from Mollie. She actually looks away and at some tree branch.

   I give up. I think to myself. I look around to see if I can see Katie. A few seconds later, I spot her. She's sitting under a tree with the boy. They appear to be having a disagreement. I smile slightly, typical teenage romance in bloom.

   "Stalking young couples. Can my opinion of you go any lower?" a voice asks. I turn my head to say something and find the from the courthouse. She is wearing a baseball cap, a T-shirt with a band logo on it, and some basketball shorts.

  I'm about to say something about her stalking me when the girl says, "I was heading over to the basketball court when I saw you stalking that couple." she says.

"That 'couple' consists of my little sister."

"Wow, your sister can't go on a date alone. Real bummer."

   I open my mouth to contribute something to the current conversation topic when something catches my eye. This girl doesn't have a basketball. She's headed to the basketball court, wouldn't one need a basketball? "I like your imaginary basketball." I say gesturing to her empty hands.