Chapter sixty five - Hela

A/N: Me, sternly to myself: stop posting chapters you'll regret it when you hit a writing slump.

Also me: *reads all your comments about how you can't wait for the next chapter, knowing the pain of a reader having to wait for chapters* Oh, go on then...

...

You and Loki appeared between the refugees and the Draugr on the Bifrost. Skurge looked a bit put out when he saw the two of you.

"Hello Skurge." Loki said, speaking loudly to be heard over the engines of the retreating Commodore. There were screams and yells from behind you as Fenrir started to run, and the sound of gunfire emanated from the Commodore.

"Attack." Skurge said flatly, pointing his axe towards you. The Draugr advanced past him with a hundred times the enthusiasm of their leader, obviously having been waiting for the order eagerly. You and Loki were joined at the front of the crowd by a handful of terrified but determined looking Asgardian warriors, and your resolve was strengthened tenfold as you unsheathed your sword. These people needed you, and you weren't going to let a single Draugr get past you to them.

You braced for impact, and then with an upward swing your sword made first contact with the first Draugr's weapon. They were skillful warriors, and not as easy to strike down as you'd imagined, but you were more than a match for them with your sword and your magic. After about a minute of fighting there was a surge in the crowd, unhelpfully pushing you towards the Draugr.

Push them back, now!

You and Loki sent powerful explosions of magic ahead of you simultaneously, blasting all of the warriors within thirty yards of you backwards and off of the Bifrost. More were running towards you.

"Where are they coming from?" you asked incredulously, gesturing ahead of you with your sword: there were hundreds of them. Loki had turned around to see what had caused the surge backwards, and you turned too to see Hulk dragging Fenrir off of the Bifrost. Before you had time to worry about Bruce the next wave of Draugr were almost upon you, but now the crowd of refugees you were defending were making progress towards the Observatory, no longer blocked by the monstrous dog.

"Go, please." you said to the warriors who hadn't moved with the crowd but stayed to defend their people alongside you and Loki. They didn't need to be told twice, retreating quickly towards the Observatory.

Shall we stay here or move back with them?

Stay here, we're buying them time.

"Okay." you said, more bracing yourself for the oncoming army than anything. Time didn't exist on the battlefield, so it could have been five minutes or an hour before Loki spoke to you in your mind again.

Korg's here.

To say that you relaxed would have been a lie, but you certainly suddenly felt a lot more hopeful of the situation than you had previously.

"Y/N, Loki." a familiar voice greeted you, and then Heimdall was by your side, wielding the Bifrost sword.

The Draugr were relentless; they were pushing you backwards slowly but surely towards the refugees and the rescue ship. You were beginning to tire and had sustained a few injuries, but nothing life threatening. Yet.

Your concentration had been such that you didn't noticed the skies rapidly darkening and the electricity crackling through the air until Heimdall said "Look!"

Raising your head wearily your mouth fell open as you saw Thor flying through the air encompassed in an actual lightning bolt, heading straight for the centre of the mass of Draugr. You paid for your three seconds of ignorance, feeling a white-hot pain suddenly lance through your side. A cry of pain left you as you swung wildly at the Draugr that had maimed you, hardly touching it as it dodged your blade. A split second later its head was on the floor and Loki was in front of you.