Chapter eight - In which you go on your first mission

Author's note: Heya guys, sorry I didn't update yesterday I've started redecorating my room and everything is a mess ahhh I have been painting and sanding for like two days I'm shattered. bUT my exams are over so I'm 110% less stressed than I was :)) This story has been sooo long in the works so I'm glad you guys seem to be enjoying it! Please leave a comment about anything at all I wanna know what you guys think! Enjoy <3

...

Preparing to be recruited as an Avenger was a tiring process, and all of a sudden you'd almost been living at the Tower for a month. It was a week or so after the party, and no one had been stupid enough to bring up the mind-reading incident since your outburst, which you were grateful for.

In other news, Loki had apparently forgotten that you existed, having not spoken to you since the night of the party. You in turn were slightly annoyed at him about the headache he had given you - that had been uncalled for. So there remained a frosty atmosphere between the two of you, which did not go unnoticed by the rest of the team, especially Thor, who had cornered you after training one morning to talk to you about it. You had denied that there was anything wrong, you'd hardly been best of friends after all, was there really any difference at all apart from the fact he didn't acknowledge you anymore? He was only treating you the same as the rest of the team. You didn't care... was what you had told Thor. He'd seen right through you.

"Lady Y/N, I think it would be a wise idea to talk to him. He has taken a liking to you, despite what you both may say, and he needs to be able to talk with someone. He was imprisoned for a long time, and still is unable to use his magic." Thor said to you.

He was appealing to your better nature, you knew, and goddamn were those baby blues working on you. You also couldn't just lose the sympathy you had for Loki; you wanted to help him, whether he wanted that help or not.

You sighed, pushing your sweaty hair back out of your face. Training had ramped up in the last few days and you were feeling the effects.

"Okay, I'll try and talk to him later." you conceded.

"Thank you, will you let me know how it goes?" Thor asked.

"Yeah, sure. Now can I go shower?" you replied, unable to hold back the smile that spread across your face as you saw how pleased Thor was.

After you'd escaped to your room, showered and got into some comfy clothes, you went in search of Tony to ask him about your 'gear' as he'd been calling it. You couldn't wait to get your hands on your very own clothes made from Stark technology. Unfortunately you didn't get further than the end of the corridor, where you encountered Loki.

"Uh, hey." you said, unsure how to approach him. Thor had asked you to talk to him, and you were rarely alone with him; now was as good a time than any. Loki didn't reply.

"Can we talk?" you asked hesitantly.

"Why did you tell Stark I could read minds? I thought you wanted to 'help' me, not undermine me."

Oh, wow. He had gotten straight to the point, so you decided to as well.

"I didn't mean to undermine you, I didn't even mean to tell Tony, I just had other things on my mind. I should have told them sooner, because they have a right to know if you're reading their minds. And you shouldn't have given me that headache like you did." you replied, meeting his challenging gaze.

"Thor told me that you want to help me. I don't want or need your help with anything. Sorry about the headache. You angered me." Loki told you, after a pause.