Chapter fifty three - In which Thor goes missing

"Sh- SHUSH. Don't wake her up, she needs to rest."

"You don't need to worry about me waking her up, you've just done a magnificent job of it by shush-ing no less."

Dimwits.

You were smiling as you opened your eyes. On either side of you were Thor and Tony; Loki was sat on the bed next to you, for you were in the medical ward yet again.

"Hey kid." Tony scowled, obviously annoyed that Thor had proved him right.

"Hi." you replied in a whisper, suddenly overcome with emotion. You'd missed everyone. Sitting up in order to hug Thor and Tony only made your tears intensify (you weren't exactly feeling at the top of your game after the day's events and moving hurt), but it felt good to get it off your chest.

"How is everyone? What did we miss?" you asked when you were settled back against the pillows, wiping your face with the edge of the blanket. Tony started telling you about what had happened while you and Loki had been away (not a lot, as it transpired) and you sat and listened, content to just enjoy his company. Then you remembered that you should probably check up on Loki, despite the fact that you could feel and see that he was physically fine.

Are you okay?

Yes love.

Thank you for saving me from being crushed by a building I failed to hold up. Again.

The smallest hint of a smile.

It was no trouble.

As Tony talked Thor stood and left the room (not before reassuring you that he'd be back shortly), and about one and a half minutes later the rest of the team arrived in a chaotic mess of noise and, in Bucky's case, pizza.

The next half hour was a happy one; you were beyond relieved to be back at home. Loki was pleased to be back too, you could tell, although he would never have admitted this fact to anyone in a million years. The noise levels were starting to irritate him though.

"Guys, can you turn it down just a notch? My head..."

You were then showered in hushed apologies, and received an appreciative grin from Loki which no one else saw.

"We should probably leave you to get some more rest..."

"No!" you protested vehemently, sitting up to prove that you were fine, which you were in fact not. Everyone tried to make you sit back, but you were determined to get up. There was no way you were going to stay in the medical ward on your own when you were finally back home with everyone.

"Y/N, don't be thick, you're hurt." Clint was saying.

"Maybe so, but it's nothing life threatening. I can cope." you responded, reaching for Loki who had got to his feet and was now acting as your support beam, very aware of the fact that you were not to be persuaded back into the bed which you had just vacated.

"Meet you upstairs." you grinned through the pain, before preparing to teleport to the living room. Loki got there first, and in the blink of an eye you were upstairs.

"Awful idea." he told you, carefully lowering you on to the sofa.

"It's never stopped me before." You retorted, to which Loki responded with only an endearing eye roll. The rest of the team arrived about thirty seconds later and everyone got settled again; conversation returned to normal. Life was back to normal.

If only you'd known that the next two months would be the last months in a very, very long time that you would be able to call normal.

...