Chapter fifty five - The End

It had all been so bright under the water, and then so very dark. Now it was bright again, almost blindingly so.

It suddenly occurred to you that you had no body. For some reason this didn't alarm you.

People were shouting; they sounded scared, terrified in fact.

A tall blonde man was dragging the body of a girl out of the water. She was deathly pale, her eyes staring unseeingly at the sky.

She was dead.

This you knew innately, because the body was yours. Had been yours. Was it still?

For now.

A woman's voice interrupted your thoughts, but you ignored it, concentrating on what was happening on the street below you, for you were hovering in mid-air.

On your wrist, a silver bracelet sparkled in the sunlight. The bracelet which contained the tracker which these people had used to locate you.

"Call an ambulance, does anyone have a phone?!" a man with long brown hair and a metal arm and, by the looks of it, a broken leg, was shouting at passers-by, some of whom were backing away, some of whom were trying to help. They were slow, too slow, the ambulance would never make it in time. It was already too late.

It is not too late.

A woman who was also injured with red hair was clutching at your body and shaking it in what appeared to be disbelief.

Nat. Why didn't you feel sad? You loved her. You loved all of the people who were currently surrounding your body down on the ground, but you understood that there was some sort of barrier between you and them now.

Clint pulled Nat away from you so that Steve could start performing CPR while Bruce was reciting everything he knew about resuscitation. They all looked pretty worse for wear. Tony seemed to be dismantling his suit. You quickly realised what he was doing: he was trying to make a defibrillator.

"Tony you genius." you whispered, immediately struck by the fact that you could whisper.

You have not yet departed from this realm. There is still time.

Finally you recognised the woman's voice. Looking away from the chaos on the street below you, you turned to see Frigga.

You're dead.

Frigga smiled gently.

I'm afraid so.

Am I dead too?

Yes.

Why were you not panicking?

There is still time.

"Move, move!" Tony was shouting, and Steve moved back to let Tony attach two discs to your chest, with wires leading off of them to his suit. There was a large crowd of people gathered now.

"Get back." Bruce said, trying to clear as much space as possible. Tony wasn't waiting for a 'clear'.

"Now, JARVIS."

An electrical current surged through the wires and into your body, jolting it off of the ground momentarily. You felt yourself pulled towards the ground, towards your body by a seemingly invisible force.

It's working!

Y/N, will you do something for me?

What is it?

"Again."

Another shock, and you were pulled closer again to your body. One more and you'd be back.