Chapter forty six - In which you fight the Avengers

Author's note: hey guys! so meant to be got to #1 in fanfiction this week and I'm so so grateful for all of the support this story of mine is getting! It means so much to me to know that people all around the world are escaping to this world I've created and love so much, I can't even begin to describe how awesome it feels :)) thank you thank you thank you to everyone who is reading, voting and commenting, I'm trying my best to post regularly and I'll hopefully be doing that until the end, there are about ten more chapters to go I think? okay enough talking, sorry for all the sentimental rubbish ;) I hope you enjoy this chapter! 

...

"Y/N, talk to us. What do you see?"

You couldn't speak, couldn't breathe. Nothing was right, this was impossible.

No, really, this was impossible. You snapped out of the initial shock you'd felt, blinking hard, and used your brain. Unfortunately that was quite difficult when you had seven people practically yelling at you through your earpiece.

You slid back through the door quietly and gestured to Bucky, Steve and Nat to follow you a little way back down the corridor.

"What did you see? What happened?" Nat asked urgently in a low voice.

"It's Loki, but-"

Nat's face dropped. Steve took a step back and raised his face heavenwards and Bucky moved forward to console you. There was a barrage of noise over your earpiece too: Tony and Clint yelling and Thor asking loudly for clarification. You were still trying to work out what was going on.

"Guys, no- shut up and listen to me!" you whisper-shouted, and all was quiet again.

"It's not Loki. I can tell, but someone's either using magic or technology to-"

You were interrupted by the sound of Tony swearing.

"The stolen tech, they're using it. The agent said it was masks which can be calibrated to look like any face, and it changes the voice too." he explained. You felt guilty for feeling relieved.

"Hang on. How we know that it's not really Reindeer Games down there?" Clint asked. You clenched your jaw, trying not to feel annoyed by the question.

"He would've seen and heard me." Beside the fact that your chest still ached, but you weren't about to mention that.

"What if he was pretending not to." Steve helpfully supplied.

"It's not hi-"

"But it..."

"He's working for SHIELD, not against them, that doesn't make any sense! He was blackmailed-"

"Yes, but-"

"It is NOT Loki!" you demanded, slightly louder than was probably a good idea. Silence again.

"Sorry." you whispered, taking a breath.

"Did he say anything?" Thor asked, sounding vaguely relieved. You internally scolded yourself for being annoyed by this fact. You yourself had felt relief only a few moments ago.

"He was telling someone on a phone that we weren't there yet, and that everyone was in position."

"So there are more masks?" Bruce asked.

"Maybe. I'm not sure." you replied.

"There are around a dozen of them." Tony said.

"Well, let's find out shall we?" Clint asked.

"Hang on, we need a plan-" Steve interjected.

"We go in and get the tech, how's that for a plan?" Tony replied.