Chapter forty three - In which you visit SHIELD HQ

Author's note: hey guys, I hope you're all doing okay! Hopefully you enjoy this chapter, for some reason this one took about two weeks to get right:/ Let me know what you thought :))
...
Mind reading: I get how this can be confusing! Y/N and Loki are soulmates so they hear each other's thoughts without trying, and they had to block each other from hearing their thoughts when they didn't want to be heard thinking. They can both hear other people's thoughts, but this is to do with their magic, not because everyone is soulmates! In this chapter they are able to hear someone's thoughts, and project their thoughts into the person's head, thus having a conversation through their minds, but this doesn't make them soulmates. As always, thoughts are written in italics. I hope this helps!

...

Two and a half uneventful weeks passed, taking you towards the end of January. You trained everyday with both Loki and Nat, and had finally grasped conjuring objects from your pockets to your hands and started working on teleporting, which was insanely difficult and dangerous according to Loki. You were taking it slowly so that you didn't injure yourself. There had been no more missions. Everything had been perfectly fine. That had changed dramatically yesterday afternoon when Tony had told you and Loki that you were both being called into SHIELD, tomorrow.

"Do you know what might happen?" you had asked nervously.

"Sorry kid, I don't. I'm sure you'll be okay though."

"I don't think it's me we need to be worried about." you replied, casting a sidelong look at Loki, who gave a resigned smile, accompanied of course by a raised eyebrow.

"I've faced worse."

"I'm sure. Look, neither of you need to worry. Fury isn't cruel or unfair." Tony told you both. It was so obvious that he was lying that it was almost painful to hear. But he was trying to help.

"Thanks Tony." you smiled.

That had been yesterday. You hadn't slept at all last night, accompanying Loki all through the night for once as he didn't need to sleep anyway. You thought back to when Tony had told you and Loki this might happen on the morning of New Year's Eve. Loki had been worried that they were going to try and send him back to Asgard. Most of last night had been filled with his thoughts of going back to the cell he had been kept in beneath the Asgardian palace, despite your constant reassurances that that wouldn't happen. Although you weren't exactly sure what would happen if they did try and send Loki back to Asgard, you knew for certain that you weren't going to stand by and watch it happen.

The morning had dragged painfully, until finally it was time to leave. You'd avoided saying goodbye to most of the team; it felt too much like you were leaving on some horrendous trip from which you wouldn't return. A SHIELD car was waiting for you outside to escort you to the headquarters. It was a short drive and you found yourself wishing it could have been longer, wanting to postpone your imminent arrival at the headquarters indefinitely. You almost felt as if you were being driven towards your execution. Loki, who was sat to your right, heard this thought and smiled tightly. You cast an illusion over your hands and reached across to lace your fingers through his, undetected by the driver or the agent in the passenger seat.

An hour or two, and this will all be over. Everything will go back to normal.

I hope so.

It will.

You weren't sure who you were trying to convince more, Loki or yourself.

You reached the headquarters annoyingly quickly and were escorted inside by two SHIELD agents, where Nick Fury was waiting for you inside. There was no greeting, simply a nod in your direction.