Chapter six - In which you get drunk with Thor

Author's note: OkaY hear me out I know I said I wouldn't post because of exams but I have one word for you: procrastination. That is all. Leave a comment and make a gal happy would ya :) x

...

You made your way carefully through the crowd towards Loki with your drink, leaving Thor and Bucky at the bar. Loki didn't look at you or acknowledge the fact that you were coming towards him until you were stood by the seat next to him.

"Hi."

"If you've come to try and introduce yourself to me I wouldn't bother." he said bluntly, not gracing you with the gift of eye contact.

He didn't know you could see him. Amazing.

"Why is that?" you asked, hopping on to the stool next to him and putting your drink on the table.

"Because I don't want to talk to you."

Wow, you were glad this guy wasn't a real person. You could hear Loki's voice, but you could also hear hints of what the illusion made his voice sound like: much higher and reedier. If you concentrated hard enough you could see the illusion too, but that made your head hurt.

"What's your name?"

"Did you not hear what I just said?"

"I did."

There was a lengthy pause, in which you counted three separate occasions where Loki clenched his jaw, clearly harbouring a raging internal battle.

"Bertrand."

You burst out laughing, and then immediately put your hand to your mouth.

"Sorry, sorry... Bertrand? Who came up with that one? I bet it was Clint."

Loki stared at you incredulously; you fought not to smile too widely.

"What's your last name? Von..."

"Did Thor tell you?" he interrupted.

You better not push this any further.

"No. I can see you." you said, enjoying the range of emotions which flashed across his face, usually so devoid of character.

"This... is a strong illusion. I don't-" he trailed off, his mouth actually slightly open.

This was fun.

Suddenly, Tony's voice sounded loud around the room, welcoming everyone and inviting them to 'party hard all night long here at the Avengers Tower', at which point there was a huge cheer, and the music started playing even louder than before.

"So, why are you even down here? Couldn't resist the temptation?" you asked, louder than usual to be heard over the music and noise of the guests.

He glared at you.

"Seriously, why are you down here?"

"Apparently I cannot be trusted to stay upstairs by myself for a few hours and not cause problems. But I was also not welcome down here where I might have been recognised by any of these fools who weren't already intoxicated. So here I am, in disguise." he told you in annoyance.

You felt bad for him. Really bad.

"Soon enough they'll all be drunk enough that they won't notice if you disappear, you can just sneak off, it's floor-"

"Fifty-two, I know. Stark will not notice my absence, but I fear my brother will. It takes a lot to get him drunk." Loki said.

You grinned, a plan formulating in your brain.