Chapter eighty seven - The Snap, again

A/N: There are only six more chapters left AH I feel like I want to chat to you guys in the author's note bit while I still can :( I tried starting to plan for my next Loki slow burn but I'm still way too in my feels about finishing this fic, so I think it'll have to wait a while! I love giving you guys a chapter a day; your comments make the hours of writing all entirely worth it  <3

...

You landed on your knees, keeping your eyes closed for a second, still seeing Asgard as though you were there.

"Did we get them all?"

Your eyes flew open. Everyone was back on the raised glass platform, all of you looking around frantically at each other's hands.

Rocket was still holding the Aether. Tony was clutching the Tesseract in its case (your heart stopped for a second when you saw it, remembering the last time you'd seen it), Bruce had the Time and Mind stones. Rhodey was holding the Power stone.

From your first, frantic glance around the circle you only counted five stones, and you froze, fearing the worst.

Something was definitely wrong, you could feel it, but it was taking your brain a moment to catch up with your eyes. Finally you realised: someone was missing.

Clint.

Nat looked up, ashen faced, and opened her hand to reveal the Soul stone. Relief hit you square in the face, right before her grief over losing her friend. You were still reeling from seeing Asgard, and Frigga, and now this. You weren't sure how much more you could take.

Steve moved first to comfort Nat, and you stood up to move towards her too, but before you'd taken so much as two steps Tony had reached you and grabbed you into a fierce hug.

"Are you okay?" he asked, emotion pouring off of him in waves. You hugged him back tightly.

"I'm fine. Did something happen?" you asked, pulling away from the embrace to look at him.

"No, I'm... I saw my Dad." he told you. Your mouth fell open. How had he seen Howard? They'd only gone back to 2012. You were saved from trying to think up a reply by Thor bursting into tears, still on the floor behind you.

Nat was a mess, being comforted by Steve and Bruce, Rocket and Nebula were embracing and Rhodey was moving towards Tony. Scott was sat on the floor, looking a bit spaced out.

You left Tony with Rhodey and went to look after Thor. Time travel had messed you all up pretty badly, but you'd done it. You'd done it.

Well, you specifically had been pretty useless, but that was beside the point.

You had all six Infinity stones in the room. That meant that you could reverse everything.

...

You, Nat, Tony, Steve, Thor and Bruce went down to the lake for a few minutes of respite. Clint's absence hung heavily in the air around you. Nat had ceased crying, but was now sat with a blank expression on her face which scared you more than when she had been sobbing minutes previously.

The silence stretched on for so long that finally you began to grow restless. There were six Infinity stones up in the compound, and you wanted to use them, even if the thought of it scared you beyond belief. You understood, however, that being Asgardian had made time travel a lot easier on you and Thor than the others.

"Why are we acting like he's dead?" Thor asked suddenly, angrily. You all turned to look at him.

"We have the stones, right? As long as we have the stones, Cap, we can bring him back, isn't that right? We need to stop this shit; we're the Avengers. Get it together." he continued heatedly. He was in shock from talking to Frigga and seeing Asgard again, you could feel it.