Chapter twenty seven - In which Thor tells you a story

Author's note: Hey guys, I'm afraid I have some bad news :( I got some bad news a few days ago and I'm having a pretty shit time at the moment regarding my personal life and stuff, which means I'm not really feeling in the mood for writing as much. If I'd been more organised I might have been able to carry on updating at the same rate but as it is I'm gonna start updating once a week instead of twice, just on a Wednesday and not on Saturday. I'm sorry this had to affect you guys as well as me, I'm definitely going to carry on writing because it's what I love and I don't wanna let anything get in the way of that! Sorry for the paragraph, I'll shut up now, here's chapter twenty seven <3

...

"So you're saying he deliberately got himself shot." Steve was saying.

"That's what it looked like, but that's only what I saw." Bucky shrugged.

"That settles it then. He wouldn't have done it if he didn't think he'd be okay." Tony said.

"Jumping in front of a bullet isn't exactly a thought-out decision is it though, he..." Nat stopped talking as Tony threw her a glare, which you didn't miss.

"We have to go back." you said hoarsely, looking to Tony for confirmation. You didn't get any.

This only reinforced your belief that you should've stayed in there with Loki. You knew that the team, or at least Tony, would go back for you in a heartbeat; you wouldn't even have been left behind in the first place.

"How are we going to get him out Y/N? How are we even going to get back in?"

You fought to come up with an idea, anything, but it didn't happen.

"We have to go, we need to get Ricci to SHIELD." Tony reasoned with you, gesturing at the unconscious man slumped across two seats.

"He'll be alright. He's been through much worse." Thor told you, as if that was meant to make you feel better. You'd left him, after he'd been shot, surrounded by guards who wanted to capture him. You felt sick as Tony returned to the cockpit and the jet started back towards New York.

It was five minutes or so later that you realised that you had dropped your illusion. When had that happened? Not that it mattered. You'd failed in all aspects of the stupid mission. If not for Clint and Nat, Ricci would have got away and you'd probably be stuck back at the mansion with Loki. You should have let them catch you, at least then you'd know if Loki was okay...

He would be okay. He would.

"He'll be fine." Thor was saying, for the tenth time in the last minute.

"We can't know that, can we." you replied bitterly, finally having enough.

"...I think we can." Thor said, surprising you.

"How?"

"How did you know Loki had been shot, even though you didn't see it happen?"

You hadn't thought about that yet: the metal fist which had so definitely clenched around your heart when he'd been shot and the fact that you irrevocably knew what had happened, even though you had no reason to.

"I just... it felt..." you struggled to find the words, bringing your hand to your chest and clenching your fist to try and demonstrate.

Thor was nodding thoughtfully.

"On Asgard, there's a well-known old wives' tale. It's about soulmates." he said, somewhat tentatively.

You stared at him.

"Soulmates? That's not a real thing, it's just superstition."

"That's what Loki said too."

"You talked to him about this? What did you say?" you asked quickly, feeling embarrassment rise at the thought of Thor suggesting to Loki that the two of you might be soulmates. It was a ridiculous notion.