Chapter fifty two - In which HYDRA retaliates

A/N: hey guys, please call me out on any spelling or grammatical errors in the last two chapters, I'm speed writing to try and get this story finished before my uni workload ramps up! I really hope you enjoy them and the next few chapters, can't believe this book is almost finished after over a year ;(<3

...

Unfortunately, indefinitely wasn't as long as you'd originally hoped for it to be.

You spent most of your days inside (your leg was healing quickly but Loki wanted you to rest completely until it was fully healed), or sat on the balcony which looked out over the sea and the beach, watching the last holidaymakers of the year having fun before the weather turned. You lost count of how many books you read, having spent days with your feet propped on Loki's lap, both of you reading. After a few days your leg was feeling good enough for you to venture outside; you went after dark so you wouldn't have to cast an illusion while you walked.

After a few moonlit walks on the coast with Loki you decided you loved the ocean. It was the happiest you'd been all year; not that you weren't usually happy, but not having to worry about Loki had become a rare luxury in the last half year.

The phone Agent Shawcross had given you remained untouched for an entire blissful week, until exactly a week after you had arrived, it rang. You leapt up from the sofa and snatched the phone from the drawer you'd put it in in the kitchen; Loki watched in interest and trepidation.

Unknown number.

You pressed the green button and raised the phone to your ear.

"Hello?"

"Y/N, good to hear you're alive." Fury said.

...

A little under three hours later a car pulled up outside to take you home. You were going to miss it here, but you now hadn't seen the team for just under a month, and you were ready to sleep in your own bed again.

The flight home was a lot more comfortable than the flight over had been, possibly because you were back in a private jet and not on a noisy, crowded, hot commercial airplane. You'd never been so thankful for leg room before in your life.

When you landed in New York it was five o' clock in the afternoon, but it felt a lot later to you. Skipping the airport this time (Loki was insanely relieved) you were put straight into a taxi and driven not to the tower, much to your disappointment, but to SHIELD HQ, where an oddly happy looking Fury was waiting for you. Maybe happy was a bit of an overstatement, he was perhaps frowning slightly less than usual.

"Welcome back agents." he greeted you, and Loki opened his mouth to no doubt remind Fury that he was not one of his agents and then closed it again when you threw him a look. You followed Fury to his office and sat in the exact same seats that you always did.

"It's been a while since we were last sat here." Fury mused, looking at you both. Loki raised an eyebrow. He must have been in a good mood if he were reminiscing, you didn't think you'd ever heard him do that before. Usually it was straight down to business.

"I suppose you want to know what happened then." Fury told you rather than asked, pulling a file which had been on the table towards him. Not really, you thought, what you really wanted was to get home and see everyone and go to sleep. You nodded nevertheless, and Fury began to talk.

It had been as you'd expected, another anti-HYDRA organisation had got drift of the fact that there was a meeting taking place in central London and decided to take a more radical form of action than SHIELD, aka deciding to blow the meeting room up while everyone was in it, killing almost everyone in the room. Unfortunately they had not decided to check if there were any undercover agents within the building, a fact which Fury was not pleased by and assured you was being dealt with 'accordingly'.