Chapter sixteen - In which you officially become an Avenger

Author's note: Hey guys, here's chapter sixteen, still struggling for a title for this (help me pls) and trying to keep writing swiftly to get this done before exams! Knowing me I'll just keep writing until there are a hundred chapters and my fingers fall off though... hope you enjoy, leave a comment! :)

...

Before you knew it, it was the week later and a public induction 'ceremony' (as Tony kept calling it) had been planned, and it was time to put on the outfit Nat and Pepper had bought for you on that shopping trip which seemed so long ago, specifically for this purpose. It was smart enough to show that you were trying, but casual enough that it also looked like you weren't trying too hard. Perfect. The minute it was announced to the public it seemed as though a race had started to get to the event as quickly as possible.

"I have a question." you asked Tony as you leant against the counter in the kitchen, watching him try to make at least four phone calls at the same time.

"I have time to answer one question." he answered distractedly.

"Why is this all so rushed? Is there a time limit to this procedure or something?"

"No. I'll be straight with you: this gives your stalkers less time to plan an ambush. The sooner we get there and back, the better." Tony told you, and then started talking quickly into his phone about something completely different.

Good to know. You'd been slightly nervous before, having only given a small thought to the fact that your stalkers might be watching, but now Tony had said it... it felt very real and daunting.

"I have another question." you stated, but Tony waved you away and plugged his free ear with a finger. Well, that wasn't a no. You walked out of the living area and down the corridor to stop outside Loki's door. You'd never been brave enough to knock before. Deciding to try a different tactic first, you let down the wall around your mind (noticing only then how tense you'd been) and reached out for him in your mind... to find nothing. He wasn't letting you in. Things had been... distant this past week. You still hadn't entirely forgiven him for not trusting you enough to tell you that he had his magic back.

You had to knock.

Raising your fist, you were about to knock when the door swung open and Loki appeared, looking less than happy.

"What do you want?"

You lowered your fist, trying to decide what to say.

"You want me to come and watch your initiation ceremony. Do you really think Stark will let me out of the Tower?" he asked sarcastically.

"Let me speak..."

"Oh and, what's that? You're sorry for being rude and ungrateful?"

"I-"

"Sh, there's more..." he told you, raising a hand and pretending to frown in concentration.

You exhaled heavily and turned to walk back down the corridor, unamused by his antics. Trying to put the wall back up around your mind was harder this time, and gave you more of a headache.

"Y/N, wait – I'm sorry." Loki said from behind you; you stopped short and rolled your eyes, turning back around to see him leaning out of the door frame.

"I get if you don't want to come. It's fine." you shrugged.

"I do. But you understand that means me sneaking out invisible and getting back here with none of them realising, don't you?" he asked. You nodded.

"I'm sure you're more than capable." you challenged, raising an eyebrow as you walked back towards him.

"How's your leg?" he responded, evidently reminding you exactly what he was capable of.