Chapter 11

"My dearest Grandson!" Tsuna said, watching me walk down the stairs. I observed her clothing and its design, it was similar to what Father used to wear to dinner and Council meetings. The reds and green were a flash of jewels to the eye.

I bowed and forced a small smile. "Grandmother." I said, she held out her hand on front of me and I kissed it gently. Not wanting to cast any bad impressions about my character, I kissed Mother's hand as well.

"You are just like Ryuu was at your age." She said, smiling and then a small crinkle appeared in between her eyebrows. "Someone hand me a tape measure." She barked suddenly. 

I stood there, hiding my turmoil at the randomness of it all. She waited a few moment before a servant placed one in her hand. "Stand up boy." She said, her demeanour was suddenly friendly and gentle, but powerful. I stood.

She gestured for me to stand straight against the closest clear wall. I did. She placed the tape measure at my feet and stepped on the small piece of metal at the bottom, she pulled it all the way up—as far as she could go—before she asked for someone to get a stool and finish the job. She stood back and listened to what the servant said. She grinned and held out her hand, I took it, somewhat confused, and watched as she sent a wink over at my mother.

Mother just nodded happily and sent me a reassuring look. I relaxed the smallest bit, but was still anxious as to why she wanted to know my height. Tsuna sat down and nodded for me to do so as well. I sat down next her and watched her drink a simple mixture of herbal tea. 

"I know, I know—you're probably wondering what that all was about." She said, waving her hand smugly. "I am a fortune reader, which has become quite a business ever since my son died." She said this with slight hesitation. "But, once I observe a person thoroughly, I can find out almost anything about their future." She sent me a small smile. "It was your mother's wish for me to do so."

Tsuna nodded over at Akiyama vaguely. "And he wanted to know who would be your lover." I sent Akiyama a death glare, he just shrugged aimlessly and winked. I went bright pink and looked at my hands, fiddling with them as if I was a seven year old awaiting test answers from a maths lesson.

Tsuna laughed at my reaction. "Just by taking in you entrance, your appearance and reaction—and height—I have a fair amount of information already."

I looked up at her. "About my love life, or about my future?" I asked, struggling to school my features into something less angry. Tsuna looked at me, her gaze relaxed and she blinked. 

"I will only speak of your future, not you lover." I sent Akiyama a satisfied smirk and then looked over at Mother, she seemed...slightly disappointed, like she wanted to know who I would love unconditionally for the rest of my life. 

I blinked. "Do I even have a love life in the future?" I asked. It just seemed like something so...unimportant to me. Why would anyone want to be with the Tainted Prince?

Tsuna blinked and looked at me. "Oh, yes."

I shifted my gaze to the portrait and wondered if Father was happy up there, if he was proud of me, if he was satisfied with what he accomplished. Tsuna placed her wrinkled hand over mine and I snapped out of my day dream immediately. "Just remember the river." She murmured.

I frowned and opened my mouth to say something but Tsuna continued. "You have such a presence about you." She said to me. I nodded and then a random question popped through my head, something that I reckoned she might not be able to answer. 

"How tall will I be when I turn seventeen?" I asked. Tsuna looked at me, and then stared. It was like she was looking through me. I couldn't help but shift the slightest.

"One hundred and seventy one centimetres." She replied three and a half seconds later. I blinked.

"That's incredible." I complimented.

Tsuna nodded and grinned. "Thank you." She stood up and looked over at Mother. "Why don't we three go on a nice walk around the palace?" She asked. "I've been wanting to see your gardens ever since I landed here."

I frowned at the words she used but didn't question as we made our way outside. I breathed in the cherry blossom tainted breeze and walked behind Mother and Tsuna as they laughed and talked about things only woman talked about. At least I hoped they weren't talking about me.

"Hiro." Jae stood behind me, her hands clasped in front of her. I turned and looked over my shoulder, my lashes kissing my cheekbones as I took in what she was wearing. I noticed a certain shine to her armour.

"Why are you wearing that?" I asked. My gaze still on her chest, on the medals that hung there. Her uniform was too...masculine for my liking.

Jae frowned. "I was told to wear it in the honour of the dead King's mother." She replied simply, she seemed confused, why would I be concerned with what she was wearing. I sighed and brushed my fringe slightly to the side.

"Sorry, I'm just worried about the new disease." I said. I looked at Tsuna and my mother's shrinking figures as they rounded a corner and Jae and myself were officially alone. I turned around properly and saw Jae watching a butterfly, a small touch of youth had finally returned to her face. I let out a soft laugh and stuffed my hands into my black pants, the fabric still had folds in from when it was last ironed.

Jae looked up at me, her eyes shining. She eyed my clothes, as if she was judging me like I judged her. "What are you wearing?" She asked. "I would have thought some ancestral clothing would've looked nicer on you than that."

I laughed louder and nudged her. "I'm only fourteen, give me a break!" I said. "This was a gift from Father, I thought I would wear it to honour him." Even thinking about him still hurt, I wonder what Jae's opinion was on all of this. Jae stiffened, the show of the child I had just elbowed disappears and Captain Song had returned. She was still way too young for the position, she was only fifteen.

"I'm sorry, I thought you just had it stashed somewhere in your closet among the clothes from your mother." She said, her voice suddenly huskier and usual.

I looked at her, reaching to take her hand but then thinking the better of it. "What's wrong?" I asked, staring at her until she looked at me. I sucked in a breath. She was crying. Jae had never cried before. "Jae, tell me, not as your Prince—as your friend." I said, this time forgetting everything and grabbing her fingers. She looked up at me sharply, even for her age, I was still taller. She would probably grow a few more inches and that would be her height.

"My family, I visited them and—" Her breath hitched in her throat and she looked at me, her lower lips trembling as she struggled not to burst. "Both of my parents have the disease, my Nonna is already dead and..." She hugged me, forgetting everything as well.

"Hiro, I don't know what to do—can you help me?" Her face buried itself in my chest, I could feel her tears as they wet my white cotton shirt.

I lifted up her face, smiling down at her. "I haven't told anyone, but I think I can heal others, they way I heal myself." I said, my eyes widening with hers as I realised exactly what I just told her.

"Hiro..." She breathed, her eyes widening as she stared. "You think you can save them?" She asked.

I bit my lip and looked away from her gaze, the one that held me captive like the day we met and she saved a whole bunch of people's lives from me. "It's worth a try."