Part 40

Jae-wun

I trudged up ahead from the group, the now yellow grass swaying in the harsh breeze. I trembled slightly as my clothes didn't block the breeze.

"Up here!" I cried, spinning around and looking back down the hillside. The rest of the crowd was still making their way up the hill. Hiro waved, grinning and Archer ran up the rest of the way. Miyoko grabbed Hiro's hand and they stumbled after Archer as Hiro tried to pull away.

"So, you spotted Angeland?" Archer asked, grinning and wiping his forehead to clean it from grime.

I nodded and smiled. "Yup, the train we have to catch is just over there." I pointed over across the flat plane of yellow and at a rising column of black smoke.

Archer looked back as Miyoko dragged Hiro behind her. She let out a soft sigh of annoyance and Hiro panted slightly, facing away from everyone. I looked at Archer who paled slightly but held his posture well.

I knew that both of them felt the same pain as each other. That the Mist inside both of them linked them. I looked back at the smoke and sighed. Knowing they didn't want anyone to know what they were feeling.

"Let's head on—Archer, you have that money you said you'll spend to help us?" Miyoko asked, walking to my side.

"I do." Archer said, his voice strained. Miyoko and I shifted to look at each other. I met her gaze and she met mine. I wanted to turn and look at the boys, but Miyoko shook her head. I sighed and continued down the hill.

"You'll use some of it to buy us tickets—the rest will be on food and a place for us to stay when we arrive." Miyoko said lightly, not looking back and skipping gently beside me. Archer and Hiro slowly followed behind.

The station Master grinned and waved at us, curling his moustache and holding out his hand. I passed him our tickets and didn't look back at Hiro. We'd spent the last twenty minutes in the bathroom changing Hiro and myself's appearances.

I now had shorter hair that curled lightly around my jawline. Hiro had cut his hair too, it now hung shaggily around his neck and forehead. His hair hung raggedly around and over his ears. He looked like a different person. Especially since he changed his eye colour to a darker blue. Richer and deeper. Purer.

The station Master grinned and punched three holes into all our tickets. One way and to the centre of Angeland.

"Okay, everyone on board!" He called out, waving us on board. I quickly made my way past the doors and sat down on some blandly brown coloured seats. The polished leather creaking softly as we all sat.

The doors slid shut and the steam enveloped the train for a few moments before it exited the cloud it made and travelled onwards towards Angeland. The most levelled city in the world. Political society, gambling, social dilemmas and currency statuses.

The train rattled madly as the wheels clattered over years old rails. I looked out the window in fascination, even though I'd never been on one of these vehicles—I seemed to have everything under control. Everyone was relaxed. Everything was fine. Apart from Hiro's small, unpredictable panic attacks.

I didn't understand why he was getting them. But he'd been having them randomly not long after he confessed his relationship with Archer to Miyoko and myself. I couldn't figure out if it was from stress of being depended upon to defeat the Vaxxine Squad. Or if it was maybe that Miyoko and I were pretending to be happy for him. It could mean anything when it came to Hiro. I honestly couldn't read him like I used to.

"Hi—Ayaru." I asked absently, remembering we had different names now. He looked up from his hands and stared at me, something coating his gaze. I couldn't figure out what.

"Yes?" He asked. I looked over at him, my gaze soft and lenient. I grinned.

"Have you adjusted to your life without medication?" I said teasingly.

Hiro's face broke into an amused smile and then faded as he must've remembered something. "I...I'm getting better without it." He said eventually.

I frowned. "What do you mean? Hasn't your body adjusted to Archer's link—"

"No, we're only share pain—and physical stuff—not strength and emotions." Hiro said sharply, his eyes steely and blade sharp. I didn't bother reacting. I just blinked and nodded, looking back out at the landscape rushing by. He clearly was hiding something. I couldn't quite understand why he was hiding it. But I decided to let it go.

"Hey, J—Rina." Miyoko said, stuttering over my new name. I grinned in amusement and patted her hand assuringly.

"Mmhm?" I said in reply. Purposefully ignoring Archer as he comforted Hiro. Just by hugging him. I sighed internally and wished I could do that instead.

"Have you been practicing your new sword stances?" Miyoko asked. Looking at me carefully. Miyoko had been teaching me different stances that she learnt when in the Pongo Unit. She told me she would train me to use an art form that only the most in-depth of people could perform. Miyoko was trying to teach me the six fire stances. Using a specifically made sword. One infused with the opposite of Mist.

"I have been, yes." I said, thinking over my world. I tried to keep speaking, to explain why I hadn't improved.

"Have you mastered the next step?"

"I—I am trying—"

"Try harder!" Miyoko said harshly. I blinked and tried not to crack a smile. I looked back out the window and realised that we were closer to the Capital of Angeland than I originally thought.

"We're here." I said, grinning because I couldn't stop it this time. I looked over and Hiro's gaze locked with mine. The inner fire in his eyes had me entranced. He was still here to continue the mission. He wouldn't rest until the people who murdered and destroyed his family and life were brought down. And I was worried in that moment, that this ambition of his might end up killing him.

And that I wouldn't be able to stop it. Not this time.