Chapter 56

Archer

I watched in astonishment as the boy walked towards me. His hands casually behind his back. "What's your name?" He asked, examining me with a gaze I—somehow—recognised.

"Exxo." I replied, the power in his voice familiar. Similar to that Mistress who ordered their death. They boy frowned, confusion flashing across his features.

"Is that your real name?" He asked, concern lacing his voice against his will.

"It is the only one I know." I replied, wondering where he was planning on going with this.

The boy turned slightly and walked towards me only the slightest of measurements more. I watched his steps warily. If he was going to attack me, this was a poor strategy to do it.

"Are you sure?" The boy asked, frowning slightly, his gaze casting onto the ground. I managed to pull up some hatred for the boy—he had no right to ask me such questions. Even if I did have another name, what was it to him?

"Why do you even care? I've been assigned to kill you!" I say, trying to make him snap out of it. Whatever he was doing, this boy seemed to be attempting to do something to me. Hypnosis? I had no idea at this point.

"Assigned?" The boy echoed. "You've been assigned to kill me?" He asked.

I nodded. "The Mistress told me that I had been given powers only I could wield, which meant that I had to be given the right orders." I said, revisiting those memories.

"What else did she say?" The boy asked, nodding as if my reaction to this was good.

"She said that because I was most powerful, only she could give me orders. Then she stabbed a syringe into my upper arm and I knew that her words were everything." I looked carefully at the boy as I said this.

I blinked in shock when I saw his expression. It was utter hatred, fury burned in his eyes and darkening storm clouds thundered around his face. It was nothing like I'd ever seen. Maybe he planned on fighting me now.

"What would your reaction be now if I told you I was more powerful than that woman?" He snarled.

I took a step. "That is not possible, no one can defeat her. She is only in this world."

The boy cackled and I looked, momentarily, over at the girl. She seemed just as clueless as myself. Maybe she was faking it—to make me feel that my reaction was called for. That me not fighting back was natural against his overwhelming demeanour.

"Do you really think a truely powerful person would need to tell someone that they were powerful? Your Mistress," He snarled. "She is desperate, because she knows that I exist. She wants my power—and you're a puppet on some strings that supposedly will get her there."

I scowled and wondered if she really was like that. I didn't ask question though. I knew that only I would find out who was more powerful now—I had to fight him.

I grimaced when his face fell as I reopened my palms. I felt the blood drop onto the floor once again. I held my breath, I didn't need to speak anymore—there were no words for how my command would be carried out. It would have to happen.

"I'm sorry," I began, looking up at him through my lashes, not wanting him to see the remorse on my face. "But it doesn't matter whether your more powerful or not—you just have to have the will to get a job done." I looked back down at my hands.

"That's all it is." I said simply.

And then I flicked my bloody whip across the boy's face. He was void of emotion as it scraped a gash across his face. It healed before my eyes. I gaped, he most definitely was powerful. But, apparently, so was I.