Chapter 8 (prt 3)

Anja

I looked out at the balcony where my parents usually would stand. Now I was back, they had to deal with the public. Why was their only heir back in the grip of politics. Of the royal family.

"Hey, Anja." I turned and saw Aleksei standing in the doorway. I grinned and turned back to the view.

"Did you get the information we need?" I asked. Aleksei nodded and I grinned. Now we could finally begin to place down the pieces of a puzzle we've been planning for years.

I gestured for Aleksei to come to my side. "Have you ever wondered why my parents have struggled like they have?"

Aleksei shrugged and looked at my, a smirk playing with the corner of his full mouth. "No, I never have." The smirk widened. "Do tell."

I spun around and leant my elbows against the gold railing. "Because they're both cowards."

Aleksei's perfect eyes widened and he turned to face me more directly. "Anja..." He trailed off, speechless. I kept my face firm.

"I plan to remake this society Aleksei." I said, keeping my eyes forward. "I don't want my parents to suffer like they did these past years, I don't want to call them parents either." I took in a deep breath.

"I'm going to take the thrown, I'm going to burn this place to the ground and rebuild it better." I looked at the boy who is the reason I'm standing where I am.

"Are you with me, on one last adventure?" I held out my hand. I knew what he would say, what profanities he would spew to my face. Say I'm crazy. I'm reaching too far, grasping at air.

He grabbed my hand and his fingers tightened around mine. I relaxed and sent him a grateful grin. Then he pulled me into him and kissed me without any warning.

And even though he was a common boy who lived in the wild his whole life. Who had no trace of royalty or anything worthy to my parents. Who I had called a friend for so many years.

I kissed him back.