Part 34

Hirokazu

I moaned roughly and sat up, stretching all the taut muscles in my shoulders and back. I opened my eyes and frowned, I wasn't on the rug like I remembered.

I looked down and saw that my legs were covered with a plain coloured blanket. I turned around to take a gage of my surroundings and my eyes fell upon another figure in the bed. I gently pulled myself over to their side and rolled them over. Their familiar features had me smiling, I felt something blossom inside me and I just refrained form hugging Archer as he slept.

I also imagined his reaction if he awoke to me staring at him, stoking his head. It seemed a little over the top. I sighed and turned away, I didn't bother trying to disguise anything anymore. Everyone finds out my secrets out in the end.

I sipped lightly on the tea I'd made myself and realised that it had stopped raining. We'd been staying in that little farmhouse for around a week already, and I knew it was time to explore and prepare to leave.

I wondered if rain was common in this part of the world, not too far away from the burnt palace of Baî, but in a sense, it was. I groaned and tried my hardest to stand, but my legs had fallen apart inside.

I muttered curses under my breath and leant back into the chair. I couldn't believe that I had to share my life force with Archer. It like my Mist was telling me to drain him, to suck the strength and energy he earned.

I knew, if I didn't find a way to break my connect with Archer, he would lose everything he once owned. His laid back smile would instead be one of pain. Twisted and torn. No longer casual.

Constantly hiding the hurt and the hole gaping open in your chest. Ignoring the headaches that threatened day and night. Succumbing to peaceful, easily shattered, blackness of sleep.

The kind where you feel dead. Like you're released from the pain and burden of which you hold. And when you awake from death's slumber, you are bombarded with the sins which are yourself.

Maybe having a lover would doom me. Me and them to live hiding as cowards to keep each other safe. Maybe it I shouldn't open up. Maybe I should shatter my soul, to render the Vaxxine Squad useless and send my soul to a final place of rest.

I opened my eyes and realised the cold feeling against my cheeks was tears falling. The endless stream of agony. Of the stronger emotions provoked only by certain things.

"Hiro?" I jumped, startled by another's voice. I looked over at the door last the bench and saw Archer standing in the doorway.

I stood up and fell, forgetting that my legs had rebelled against me. I looked at the ground and tried my hardest to ignore the concerned gaze that shouldn't be.

"I—I'm fine." I said quietly. "Honestly." I hugged myself and whimpered, I couldn't help it. Even though Archer should've helped me back into the bedroom and left me to wallow in my guilt and sorrow. He didn't.

I felt his hand on my shoulders and suddenly wanted to look at him, to see his perfect eyes and delicate cheekbones. The light curl of hair around his neck. Light, faded brown.

I opened my eyes and looked at him, I felt so much younger. And yet older. My experience of this darkness that I was born with. I felt anew to Archer. I felt aged to the Mist inside of him. Inside of me.

"Hiro?—Hiro, look at me." Archer said, I didn't know what he meant. I let out a soft breath, confusion etched into my features.

"What do you mean? I am looking at you." I said. He just shook his head, placing hands on either side of my face. A smile playing with his lips.

"Look at me." He said, his eyes locked with mine and I held his gaze. Steady and controlled.

And then I saw it. The rolling of thunder mixed with the pattering whisper of rain. The light peeking through the scowling clouds.

The jewels embedded in green as they blossomed, filling my head with colour. I gulped down the shock swelling past the lump in my throat. I realised that Archer was better off with me.

He couldn't handle solitude the way I'd learnt to. Even if I wanted to be with him—I did—I still was hesitant to open the closed side of me.

The hands grasping at my luges and heart. Their fingers curling maliciously. I gasped and pulled back, away. Leaving Archer.

I muttered under my breath , rambling about rivers and hell. I didn't remember falling onto Archer until his arms were around me as my face was buried in his collarbone.

"Hiro, we're all lost." He said. "Et ambulate in latus mum dolorem sentire viventium."

I felt something threatening across my face. The thing playing with my lips and eyes. I nodded and wrapped my arms around him. A feeling I'd never felt before enveloping me.

"Ego autem cum mihi." I said. He chuckled and nodded. I shifted and listened to the throbbing f his heartbeat. The only thing keeping me together as waves and waves of uncontrolled despair washed over me.