Chapter 53

Archer

I walked forwards in pace with those around me. I only had one mission, and that was to defeat the intruders. I had been given an army of others like me. I only had to look out for two particular intruders. A boy with the power of Re Itsuwari and a girl trained to protect him. Both from the once righteous kingdom of Baî.

"Exxo, you will be in charge of taking down this boy and his follower." The 'Mistress' as the others called her, handed me two simple square photos. I stared and the first one and took in the main details of the face in front of me.

Male. Shaggy dark brown hair. Blue eyes. Lean figure. Approximate height of one hundred and sixty centimetres.

I flicked to the other photo, I frowned and scanned the picture as I did with the other. Female. Short brown hair. Brown eyes. Approximate height of one hundred and fifty seven centimetres.

I nodded and handed back the photos. The woman ripped them up and I felt a faint sort of loss as I watched the pieces fall to the ground. The two halves of the boy's face landing to stare blankly up at me.

"Understood." I said, pushing that emotion away and focusing on the task that my master had given me.

I turned to face my small portion of my army of follower. Ones who would burn alive if it meant my side of the battle won. "Search the perimeters at every moment. If there is one part of this building that isn't being monitored then you all will pay the price if we get assassinated."

I strode off, holding in back surges of unwanted anger. I didn't know why I was angry. I just was. I didn't have somehow to be angry at, that was why I went to the training room and began to take out this sudden wave of emotion on something less valuable and alive.

I let out another round of punches and growled furiously as I wondered if anyone would come and inform me of captured intruders. The boys face came into my head again. Something inside my stirred. I hissed and pushed it down.

If another side of me was going to appear I my head and tell me something about being manipulated I wasn't going to have it—I had my orders, I was going to obey. I had to obey.

There wasn't anything else out for me but taking a command and completing it. If I tried to think past that, to imagined what it would be like...it just went blank.

"Exxo, we have urgent news." I turned, a drop of sweat ran down my temple and I felt my heart beat thud in my chest. Loud and consistent.

"What is it?" I replied, wanting to know immediately. If it was an extremely valid piece of information then I would need to act as soon as I could.

"The boy and his associate were spotted not too shorter than two hours ago were spotted exiting the Devil's Haven. This area is located North-West of the Carolina District which occupies—"

I glared and held up my finger. "I don't need a full detailed report—What were their appearances?" I said carefully, tempted to turn around and throw hard hit against the punching bag.

"The boy was wearing a dark green faded sweater with jeans. The girl had a black t-shirt and tight pants." They informed immediately.

I nodded and gritted my teeth. "They've got a plan." I muttered, I looked up and stared at the three young boys and girl in front of me.

"Prepare for an attack at any time." I said stiffly, I couldn't fail the Mistress, I wouldn't allow it. If I died that would be more acceptable than coming back to stand before her empty-handed.

I strode past the fifth division set up around the edges of the main sections of the building. I was impatient, the tension hadn't stopped growing inside of me ever since I laid eyes on that photograph.