Part 36

Archer

I walked outside, breathing in the crisp morning air. Marvelling at the fact that Hiro, Jae and Miyoko had stayed here for almost a whole month. And as soon as Hiro and Archer had figured out an appropriate plan for how they can work together controlling the Mist. Everyone began planning how to get to Devil's Haven without running into civilisation.

I groaned and stretched, not wanting to worry too much about something like Hiro not being able to unleash his full potential.

"Archer!" Hiro's friendly voice cried from behind me. I turned and the wind blew harshly up from behind me. I grinned and waved at him like a fool. Hiro coughed lightly and I felt my face drop. He waved my concern away and stood by my side. We watched the hills of green roll out Westward.

"You seen what the girls are up to inside?" Hiro said, grinning sideways over to me. I shook my head and fell backwards onto the soft grass behind me.

Hiro did the same and we looked at each other, grinning as if we had just found out the greatest thing ever. I laughed and brushed grass from his hair. Pink dusted his cheeks and he looked up to the sky.

Clouds were spread across the sapphire blue sky. I sighed and closed my eyes. The wind flew over my face and sent a light shiver down my spine. "When are we going to head for Devil's Haven?" I sighed.

Hiro let out a groan and I looked over at him. I frowned but brushed it aside. I watched patiently as Hiro sat up and hunched over himself. "We're leaving tomorrow." He said quietly. I frowned in confusion as he stood up solemn-faced and strode off. His unanswered silence leaving me with uneasiness. I wondered how much I would give to explain the burning in my chest.

"I know it's only ten in the morning—but it's a little too early for alcohol." I said this sternly as Jae picked up the remedy mead.

She grumbled something about insecurities and I smacked her in the back of the head. She yelped accusingly and I grinned over at Miyoko as she set the table.

"What's for breakfast?" I asked. I peered past Miyoko's shoulder and she smacked me in the same manner as I did to Jae.

"Surprise." She said. I muttered an unheard excuse and sat down on the couch, slouching and thinking about what could possibly be making Hiro upset.

"What's on your mind?" Jae asked, leaning over the top of the couch. She peered at me with intent, dark eyes. Her hair falling around her face in knotty tangles.

I shrugged and shifted my gaze to the dead fireplace. Jae snorted and flopped into a somersault and landed on the edge of the couch. An expertly stupid move. She nudged me and grinned. "Come on, it's about Hiro isn't it?" She said.

I looked instinctively back to the door and Jae's features melted into concern and worry. She seemed older all of a sudden. I sighed and leant back into the softness of the couch. Hoping to distract myself from my stray thoughts. And the distinct stinging, burning in my chest. My lungs and heart.

"He's...going through some things..." Jae said softly. "He's just realising that before we leave tomorrow—he has to decide on something." She adverted her gaze when I looked at her.

"What?"

"Something he will tell you, do not push it Archer." She said heavily. Her voice forced into calmness. Her stupor stiff and taut. She was angry.

I stood up. "When's breakfast ready?" I asked dismissively at Miyoko, her pink bed hair bounced as she turned.

"A few minutes, around seven or so." She replied. I nodded and walked out the door. Jae stood up and went to my side. Her grip around my wrist was loose and desperate.