Chapter 29 (prt 1)

Anja

The wind was strangely warm through the open window, and I felt as if the earth had created this day for me. I knew that the time for the Tainted Prince to arrive in Angeland, and then find me. And if he wasn't motivated, there was a Plan B. I half hoped he wouldn't be motivated, because otherwise I wouldn't have as much fun.

"Mistress Lukin, there is a visitor for you." A guard announces through a small flap in the door. I called for them to enter and looked up lamely as an unfamiliar figure walked into the room.

"Are you the man I asked for?" I said quietly, going back to reading a volume of the world's history, part 48.

"I am, Anja Lukin." He replied. His voice was scratchy and coarse. I wondered absently if he smoked tobacco on a regular basis, but decided that that wasn't necessary considering the reason for his presence.

I nodded and hummed a light tune from my childhood. The man cleared his throat and shifted. "Did you just wish to meet me, m' lady. Or was there another reason for my presence here?" He asked politely.

I looked up at him again. "Thank you for brining that up, Doctor Kozak." I smiled sweetly and he looked away, clearly bashful.

"The honour was all mine." He mumbled.

"I wished to speak to you about how your progress has been these past few months." I said. "Considering we haven't properly met and you've been working for me for nearly half a year, well..." I trailed off, raising an eyebrow.

"The serum has worked very efficiently, aside from the fact that the degree of DNA power you've wished for is still being tested for in our subjects." The Doctor cleared his throat. Well, he was a scientist.

I nodded and pressed my lips together. "Maybe try subjects who've had experience with the Mist." I suggested thoughtfully. Since that has become nearly one of our basic elements, it might be helpful in providing for positive responses in your research."

I looked up at him and he seemed to already be calculating the possibility of such a thing. He nodded once to himself and then thanked me. Exiting in a haste.

I continued to read, licking my fingers as I turned each page.