Part 33

Archer

I walked back inside and saw Miyoko exit from the bathroom, her gaze on something by the fire. She sighed and knelt down, her eyes soft and motherly.

I walked over to her side and saw that Hiro had fallen asleep, his hair fallen over his relaxed face as Miyoko brushed his head. "He was tired, even when he rested." She said. "He's always tired, he never stops fighting—even when he sleeps." She looked up at me and nodded, grinning cheekily. "Take good care of him Archer, he's fragile—more so than glass."

I nodded and watched as she went outside to join Jae. I looked down at Hiro. He groaned and my eyes widened in alarm. I knelt by his side and saw his delicate features scrunch up. Nightmares.

I didn't hesitate to pick him up and carry him over to my bedroom. I had a king size bed so I would be squished u next to him or anything.

I placed him down gently and watched he made himself comfortable. I grinned and lay down on the other side of the bed. I let out a sigh and closed my eyes, turning off the lamp.

I woke up gasping. I couldn't remember what I had been dreaming about, but it hadn't been pleasant. I groaned and wiped my wet forehead, brushing the stringy clumps of my fringe off my face.

I sat up and turned the lamp on, I immediately look over to my left and saw Hiro's figure. The curve of his shoulder leading gently down to his hip. His legs disappeared underneath the the blanket.

I frowned as I noticed something. The shirt he'd borrowed from me—a black long sleeve—had ridden up and revealed his back. I leant across the mattress and saw marks. I tilted my head to the side and pulled his shirt gently up, wanting to know what had happened. Was he in pain?

I sucked in a breath when I saw them. They were beautiful, but deadly. The marks of bravery through the suffering of pain. The faded pink blotches of scarred skin trailed across the muscles of his back.

I then became immediately aware I was partially stripping an unconscious boy in the same bed as myself. I tugged his shirt down instantly and rolled over, turning out the lamp hastily.