Chapter 45

Hirokazu

When I opened my eyes once again, the Mist was hovering in front of me—a rather bland looking Arthur behind it. I wanted to stand up, to hug him and tell him he would be okay. But my limbs wouldn't move. My lungs constricted and wouldn't lay off. Shrivelling up and discontinuing from allowing air into my body. I let out a gasp and tried to breath. To force that air into my veins and arteries.

When I opened my eyes again, I was back in reality. And I wasn't where I had been last. People I didn't know were rushing over me, but they weren't waiting for me to wake up—they seemed to preoccupied with other things around me. I frowned and tried to sit up, but when I got halfway, my legs dangling over the edge of the bed I was in—when someone pushed me back down. Their face was covered by a pale blue mask strapped to their face with ropes behind their ears.

"Where am I?" I asked as they shone lights into my face and I squinted, the Mist reacting violently to the brightness. I hissed as they let out a breath of relief.

"You were in the average vicinity of the attack. You were found unconscious and bleeding—and were brought here for examination." The person replied. I gasped lowly in pain as their cold fingers pressed on my temples.

"You have a light concussion, you will have to stay here and continue to be under examination until we are satisfied with the results." They said, I closed my eyes and only one image flashed behind my eyes; Archer walking away down the street, swallowed by smog.

"Was there anyone with me?" I whispered, their footsteps stopped and I heard their shoes scrape against the floor as they turned.

"What do you mean? They found you alone in a half smashed room with your forearm bleeding from a severe gash." They sounded genuinely confused, but if they were the ones caring for me—and I was in a legitimate care centre—then the person who found me would know the real story. And would have to have a good explanation as to why they lied.

The only thing broken in that room was the windows and a mug. Both halves of the room had been quite in tact.

I groaned and lay back down, mumbling about needing sleep and feeling a little nauseous. They apologised and left. Soon after, the bright lights stinging my lids were turned off and I slowly blinked open my eyes.

I sat up and looked around, one way or another, I was going to get out of here. Even if it killed someone in the process.

I walked down the corridor, looking out for things not to step on. And a disguise I could use. I didn't really care if it was on someone's body, or if I had to dress in a random storage cupboard. I would find something.

As I thought those words, a resonant pair of footsteps echoed down the hall opening in front of me. I paused and hid, hoping that they had a uniform—and weren't well trained in fighting either. A young girl walked around the corner, I prepared myself to grab her and knock her out when she lifted her face and I gaped in open shock.

"Jae?" I mumbled, stumbling forwards in front of her. She looked at me, frowning slightly before understanding dawned on her face.

"Hiro?" She whispered, her eyes sparkling happily as she grabbed my wrists and dragged me back into the space I'd stumbled from.