Chapter 49

Hirokazu

I looked around, making sure no one was coming before I began packing all the essentials I would need for taking down the Vaxxine Squad, once and for all.

Jae peeked her head in and gestured for me to hurry up, I packed the last bit of of list into my small bag and we raced out the door, sneaking around and down the alleyways.

When we made it past halfway towards Devil's Haven's general direction, we passed a small, hidden cafe and Jae stopped, not wanting to continue our journey of clumsy swiftness towards our base encampment.

She frowned and tilted her head to one side. I watched as a single tear fell across her cheek. "So she wasn't lying." Jae murmured.

I didn't press for answers, I only grabbed her wrist gently and reminded her of what our purpose was now. She nodded and we continued.

When we arrived at the Devil's Haven, it was averagely crowded with people. Many of them dressed in dark clothes, some of them had hoods. Some had masks that represented which group they belonged in. Some people even waved their swords around, fighting drunkenly with others holding swords.

"I wonder if Miyoko kindly got us a room or not?" Jae asked herself, I looked over at the large counter, it seemed to tower above everything else, the light shining up from below it made it seem even more mysterious.

I walked over to it. "Excuse me." I raised my voice as politely as I could.

I small, wrinkly face peeked over at edge and down at us. Their spectacles sat wonkily on their crooked nose, their brown eyes shone. "You lot here for a room?" Their croaky voice reprimands Jae and myself.

"Uh, yes..." I trailed off, waiting for them to say their name so I could finally know which sex they were.

"Miss Ovington." She replied, pushing her spectacles further up the bridge of her nose as fast as they slipped down.

"Miss Ovington, we are here to acquire a room."

She nodded and disappeared behind the desk. "You get a first night discount, on the house." She muttered, avoiding my eye contact as she said it.

I was slightly unnerved and suspicious. She was not married, after all.

Jae flopped down into one of the single beds and let out a loud sigh of breath. I looked around and then lay uncomfortably onto the soft bed covers.

I thought about how Archer might be dead right now. Ever since I left that 'hospital'—I haven't been able to connect with him like usual. I didn't feel his pain, confusion, anxiety. I didn't feel anything anymore.

And what scared me the most was that he could be dead, and all I'm doing is standing around, unable send him my love. Unable to even send him one thread of mist.

Jae hugged me and I realised as I wondered why she did that—I was crying, crying for Archer. Because he may not be able to.

"Hiro, you know that even if you lose him—If you can't fight because of it—I'll be there to fight for both of you." I looked down at her and she smiled softly.

"I've always envisioned dying for you." She said sweetly. "My life is yours, my King."