38

SPOILS OF WAR
— 38. Back from the Dead

 Back from the Dead

  In one of the rooms in the Great Hall, Bjorn was sitting at a table, staring down at the map in front of him. He held a candle in his hands, moving it around the map to get a better look at it.

Just then, without him knowing, Tova appeared behind Bjorn. She smiled widely, wrapping her arms around him from the back before she began to kiss his neck. "I am sorry about earlier. I didn't mean to call you stupid," She told him softly, only to have Bjorn sigh and not respond, "Fine then, don't answer."

She pulled away from Bjorn, taking a seat beside him as she looked down at what laid in front of him. "What is that you got there?"

"I don't know. The looks like a road..." He trailed off, running his finger over a part of the map, "And that's a sea...maybe."

"Where did you find it?" Tova asked curiously.

"In a house in Paris," He admitted, earning a puzzled look from Tova.

"Why did you not show me on the boat ride back here?" She complained and Bjorn shook his head at her.

"I wanted to learn more about it first before showing you," He replied and it was the truth, "Whoever owned it clearly thought it was more important than anything else he had. He fought hard to save it."

"What is it to you, though?" Tova questioned, a curious look on her face.

Bjorn remained silent for a long moment. He stared down at the map for a moment, just before turning to look at her. "It is my destiny," He admitted in a calm tone and Tova nodded.

"Perhaps in due time, it will be our destiny," She told him, smiling as she leaned forward to kiss him.

However, before they could kiss, Bjorn turned away, which caused Tova to frown. "What is wrong?"

"Your destiny is to rule Kattegat. Mine is to travel," He reminded her in a calm tone, "You can't do both. Nor can I."

"What are you saying?" Tova asked, frowning at him in concern.

"We have different dreams, and we are two very different people," Bjorn reminded her and Tova rolled her eyes since she knew what he was getting at, "Perhaps we should end what we have with each other."

Tova began to laugh, causing Bjorn to frown since it wasn't supposed to be funny. He watched as she leaned closer to him, smiling in utter amusement. "How can we end what was clearly never there in the first place?" She asked him in a low tone.

Bjorn sighed, shaking his head at Tova. "Of course there was something there, Tova," He complained, attempting to reach for her hand.

Tova scoffed at Tova's actions and slapped his hand away. "Why must you be so difficult, Bjorn?" She snapped at him angrily.