30

SPOILS OF WAR
— 30. Corruptions

    Inside the Great Hall, Lagertha was sitting with Helga and Floki when the doors opened

Inside the Great Hall, Lagertha was sitting with Helga and Floki when the doors opened. They turned, their eyes widening when Bjorn entered, beaten and bloody.

"Bjorn!" Lagertha exclaimed in concern as she immediately stood up from her seat and rushed over to her son worriedly.

"What?" Bjorn asked his brother in an aggravated tone as he made his way over to where the ale was kept.

"What do you mean, 'what'?" Lagertha retorted as she moved closer to him, "What happened to you?" She stared up at Bjorn, placing a hand on the side of his face.

"I got into a fight with Tova," He informed his mother in a calm tone as he removed her hand from his face.

"Little Tova did that to you?" Floki asked Bjorn, an astonished look on his face.

"I wanted to stop them from killing her. She is spiraling, ever since she learned about Siggy," Bjorn explained and Lagertha frowned in confusion since she didn't know that Tova and Siggy had gotten close to each other in the past year.

"I don't understand," Lagertha responded, beginning to frown at Bjorn.

"It doesn't matter," Bjorn replied, taking a large sip of his cup of ale. He was on the verge of walking away when Lagertha spoke up.

"Are you going to see Porunn?" Lagertha questioned and Bjorn sighed as he finished his ale.

"No," He answered in an aggravated tone, "She does not want to see me. If she needs me, she'll tell me. She's a woman, not a child."

_____

Hours had passed before Bjorn returned to the Great Hall. He decided to return to his old room there instead of going back to Porunn, who didn't seem to want him to be around her. She had been acting distant ever since she had been wounded.

Bjorn entered the room, only to have his eyes widen at the sight of Tova standing there. Even while sporting no bruises on her face, unlike Bjorn, she still looked worse than him.

"What are you doing here?" He asked her in an aggravated tone. He was in no mood to get into another fight with her.

"What am I doing here? It's my room. Why wouldn't I be here?" She retorted and sighed before standing up, "I'm sorry about earlier. I was not in my right mind."

"It is fine," He assured her as he shook his head.

"It is not fine. I hurt you," She complained, beginning to tear up, "I was angry after I heard about my mother. I blamed myself and I took it on you most of all."

Bjorn sighed and made his way over to Tova. He grabbed her hand, leading her over to the bed before they both sat down together. "I didn't know the two of you were so close," He confessed and Tova shook her head slightly.