14

SPOILS OF WAR
— 14. Tova the Merciful

   In Wessex, Tova stood in a field with Floki, Ragnar, King Horik, Athelstan, and the rest of the army

In Wessex, Tova stood in a field with Floki, Ragnar, King Horik, Athelstan, and the rest of the army. She crossed her arms over her chest, laying eyes on a city from afar.

"What is that place?" Ragnar asked, turning to glance at Athelstan with a curious look on his face.

"It's a Christian church, a minster," Athelstan informed him in a calm tone, "A large one. It may be Winchester."

At the mention of Winchester, Tova turned to Athelstan, her eyes immediately widening in shock. "Winchester?" She asked him in a surprised tone.

"From the way Tova reacted to the name, I assume it is important?" Ragnar questioned Athelstan in a calm tone.

"If it is Winchester, Saint Birinus is buried there. It's a place of Great Pilgrimage," Athelstan explained to them in a calm tone.

"And will there be treasure there?" Horik questioned, causing Tova to chuckle as she turned to him.

"If it is Winchester, there will be treasure and lots of it," She explained to him with a smile on his face, leading to the rest of the men to look just as eager to raid it.

Tova turned, exchanging a look with Ragnar before she walked with him in the direction of Winchester.

____

Nearing Winchester, the group of Vikings immediately heard the bells ring, meaning the Saxons had learned of their arrival.

They entered the city, finding it to be practically empty with only livestock in sight.

Just then, Tova turned her head, watching as a small number of Saxons yelled out as they ran in their direction

Tova wasted no time unsheathing her sword, just before slashing at the first man who came in her direction. Another stopped in front of her and raised his sword. He went to slash at her but Tova quickly raised her shield to block his form of attack.

She yelled out, wasting no time slashing him across the chest. Another ran toward her and Tova stepped to the side. She grabbed him by the back of the neck and with that, she slit his throat with her sword.

She walked forward, slashing at numerous other Saxons that tragically found themselves in her path. She turned her head, smiling as she watched Torstein draw his bowstring back as a soldier came riding toward them on horseback.

He released his arrow, which immediately shot the Saxon soldiers in the chest. Tova watched on, smiling as she witnessed the Saxon's dead body hit the ground.

"Well done, Torstein," She complimented, watching as he shot yet another in the chest.

It wasn't long before all of the fighting men were left dead, leaving them to have free rein over Winchester. Tova turned, exchanging a look with Ragnar before looking ahead at the close doors of the church.