27

SPOILS OF WAR
— 27. Unfair Treatment

   In the aftermath of the Battle against King Brihtwulf and his army, Tova walked over to Torstein alongside Ragnar and Rollo

In the aftermath of the Battle against King Brihtwulf and his army, Tova walked over to Torstein alongside Ragnar and Rollo. They sat down beside Torstein, who looked weak after being shot in the arm with an arrow during the previous battle.

"You are not eating," Ragnar told his friend in a calm tone.

"I know," Torstein replied, forcing a weak smile onto his face, "I'm not hungry."

"For the first time in your life," Ragnar commented, causing the whole group to chuckle.

"There's a first time or everything," Torstein remarked as he weakly smiled.

"Here," Rollo spoke up, holding out some mushrooms to Torstein, "These will help."

"Thank you," Torstein told him and Tova smiled, placing a hand on Torstein's shoulder.

"May Freya lie with you tonight, and take care of you, dear Torstein," Tova told him, a kind smile on her face.

"You are very kind, Tova," Torstein told her, smiling back at her.

"You have given no reason to be anything but," Tova reminded, smiling as she kissed him on the cheek before leaving.

She found herself walking over to Kwenthrith, who was sitting on the ground with a cup of alcohol in her hand. "I am so happy that my uncle is dead!" She exclaimed, practically slurring, "But I still don't believe it."

"You saw him killed," Tova complained, beginning to frown at the woman, "I did it myself."

"Yes, yes you did," Kwenthrith replied, stumbling as she stood up from the ground, "But now...Now, I want his head! I want his head, I need his head," She pleaded and Tova frowned at her in concern, "And then I will believe it."

"Oh, I can do that," Tova replied, nodding before she turned to Floki, "Floki..." She trailed off, beginning to speak in their native tongue, "Fetch the King's head."

"Yes, I'll bring it to you. His corpse is not yet in the earth," Floki replied, unsheathing his ax before he made his way toward where Brihwulf's body was.

After Floki walked off, Kwenthrith was on the verge of doing the same when Tova roughly grabbed the woman by the arm and pulled her back toward her. "Why do you hate your uncle so much?" She asked, eying the woman suspiciously.

Kwenthrith stared up at Tova, roughly prying herself out of the younger girl's grip. "Do you think that my older brother was the only member of my family who raped me when I was a child?" She asked her and Tova recalled the woman telling her and Ragnar of what the horrific childhood she had experienced, "It was my uncle who first brought him to me. Since I was six years old, he abused me. He violated my body and my soul. And he told me not to resist the attentions of the many men that he brought to me, saying that they all wanted the pleasure..." She trailed off, letting out a heartbroken gasp, "They all wanted the pleasure of sleeping with a child. And the last was my brother, who shared me with my uncle."