32

SPOILS OF WAR
— 32. Relentless

     When Kalf's ships began to arrive, Tova began to walk over to the men alongside Ragnar

     When Kalf's ships began to arrive, Tova began to walk over to the men alongside Ragnar. Ragnar carried Ubbe over his shoulders, which Tova found amusing, especially the way he was hung upside down.

Hvitserk was hanging off Tova's back, but that wasn't unusual. He always seemed to be latching onto her in some way.

"Kalf!" Ragnar called out to the Earl of Hedeby with a smile on his face.

"King Ragnar," Kalf responded as he climbed off of his boat.

"Earl Kalf," Ragnar corrected himself as he placed Ubbe down on the ground.

"Greetings," Kalf responded and Tova playfully rolled her eyes as both Ubbe and Hvitserk began to grab onto her at once.

Kalf ended up hugging Ragnar, just before doing the same with Tova. "I join you in the expectation of the greatest raid in the history of our people," He informed them both with a smile on his face.

Just then, Ragnar and Tova turned, awkwardly looking up at the large man who appeared beside Kalf. "Who is this chunk of meat?" Ragnar questioned and Tova smiled in amusement.

"This is Earl Siegfried," Kalf informed him and placed a hand on the man's shoulder.

"Lord Ragnar," Siegfried greeted Ragnar as he bowed to him, "I put my ships and my warriors at your disposal."

Ragnar smiled and patted the man on the shoulder, only to turn to see Tova staring ahead with an expression on her face that was as though she had just seen a ghost.

He turned, his smile fading when he saw what Tova was looking at. Erlendur.

Once Kalf saw the duo staring at something, he turned and smiled slightly. "I'm sure that you remember King Horik's son and the widow of Jarl Borg. They also have expressed a desire to take part in our raid," He explained as the three of them walked over to Torvi and Erlendur.

"Torvi!" Tova spoke up, smiling widely at the sight of the girl.

"Erlendur," Ragnar greeted Erlendur and nodded his head slightly before turning to glance at Torvi, "Torvi." He looked back at Erlendur and smiled widely, leading to Tova facepalming herself, "I have to say that my daughter and I are a little caught off guard seeing you here."

"I figured there was a reason you spared my life. Maybe it's for this," Erlendur responded and Ragnar forced himself to smile, "I have to ask. How is the settlement in Wessex?"

Tova's smile faded but she maintained composure as Ragnar smiled at Erlendur. "Good," He replied and with that, Erlendur walked past them.

"It is good to see you again, Torvi," Tova called out to Torvi, who smiled at her politely before walking past her.