28

SPOILS OF WAR
— 28. Queen of Mercia

   Soon after returning to where they originally set up camp, Tova sighed as she walked past Bjorn

Soon after returning to where they originally set up camp, Tova sighed as she walked past Bjorn. He had just placed down Porunn when he turned and locked eyes on Tova. He looked to be on the verge of saying something when Tova turned away from him and immediately walked past him.

She soon sat down at a table with Rollo and Floki, where Rollo immediately handed her a mug of mead. "Thank you," She told him, only to frown as she watched Aethelwulf take a seat with them at the table. She, Rollo, and Floki turned to Aethelwulf, each of them looking confused.

"Friends," Aethelwulf spoke up in their native tongue, causing Tova to smile in amusement.

She wondered how long it had taken him to learn that single word.

"Friend," He said again and Tova exchanged an eye-roll with Rollo, "No more enemies, but friends. My mind..."

"Different," Rollo answered for him and Aethelwulf smiled as he nodded his head.

"Different," He repeated after Rollo as he laughed. He turned to look at Floki, who seemed to be glaring at him, "We fight together," He paused and placed a hand on Rollo's shoulder, causing Floki to eye them both suspiciously, "We win."

"I agree, my friend," Rollo replied and Aethewulf smiled when Floki seemed to be more suspicious than ever, "We fight together, we win."

Aethelwulf patted Rollo on the shoulder before turning to Floki, who glared at him. "Forgive me. But these he is the last two person you wish to be speaking about an alliance with," Tova spoke up in his language, causing Aethelwulf to turn to her, "He hates your people and your god more than anyone. I'd stay as far away from him as you could if I were you."

Aethelwulf sighed at Tova's words. He nodded, just before standing up and leaving.

With that, Floki turned to Rollo, eying him intently. "So much for Rollo, the warrior," He commented and Tova groaned as she facepalmed herself, "The hammer to the cross, where is your soul? Where is your belief?"

"Floki, forget it," Rollo argued and shook his head at Floki, "This..." He trailed off and gestured around, "This is the future. We cannot fight everyone. There must be cooperation. Alliances. Just as there are among the gods. That is the way forward."

"Well, well," Floki replied, beginning to smile, "It seems that the magic of your Christian baptism has worked, after all."

"Here we go," Tova muttered, placing her face in her hands.

"You said the whole thing was a joke. Perhaps you took it seriously," Floki ranted as he stared at Rollo suspiciously.

"You know very well it was a joke," Rollo argued as he shot Floki a glare.