39

SPOILS OF WAR
— 39. Mountains

 Mountains

   Outside the Great Hall, Ragnar was sitting upon his chair, watching everything around him. Nearby, Tova was playing with the younger sons of Ragnar. Ubbe was pulling Ivar in his cart around Tova, who alongside Sigurd and Hvitserk, played with sticks as swords with Ivar.

Locking eyes with Ragnar, she sighed and turned to the boys. "I will be right back," She informed them, causing each of them to groan in annoyance as they watched her walk over to Ragnar. She walked up the steps, just before taking a seat at his feet.

"I hear you and Bjorn had a falling out," Ragnar spoke up, breaking the moment of silence between them.

"Yes," Tova simply stated as she looked down at the ground in front of her.

"And?" Ragnar asked her awkwardly, knowing there was far more to it than she was saying. It was never simple when it came to Bjorn and Tova's relationship.

"And it is not going to work between us. Bjorn is too difficult for me," Tova admitted, only to have Ragnar laugh, "Is that funny?"

"Yes," Ragnar nodded and continued to laugh.

"How?" Tova complained, looking offended.

"Bjorn is not the only difficult one. You are as well and far more difficult than he is. Why do you think I seem to be the only one able to endure your incessant need to be right all the time? Not to mention that need of yours to always do the best at everything," He explained, smiling as Tova rolled her eyes, "Men do not like that. They like to help the women they are with. But you, Tova, you are way too independent for your own good."

"I don't understand," Tova replied and shook her head. She stared up at Ragnar, a confused look on her face.

"You do things without telling anyone," He reminded her and Tova shrugged.

"I tell you," She pointed out to him in a calm tone.

"That is different. We tell each other everything, even when we shouldn't. I'm talking about when you are with someone. There needs to be trust. You have to be able to tell them things. You must be honest with them," he explained, shifting in his seat, "Tell me, if you were with Bjorn and decided to go to Hedeby, what would you do?"

"Go to Hedeby," Tova scoffed and shook her head, "Who cares what he thought? He can't tell me what I can and can't do."

Ragnar laughed, unable to contain himself when he heard her words. "That is your problem."

"I don't understand," Tova replied, a puzzled look on her face.

"If you are with Bjorn, you must at least tell him you are making these decisions. You don't have to ask permission, but you should at least consult with him. Relationships need to be vocal. It must be a partnership. You must be able to work together, to trust each other, to be together in all things. How else do you expect to raise a child together?" Ragnar explained and at the mention of children, Tova felt uneasy.