3

SPOILS OF WAR
— 3. Skadi

   Days had passed and Tova grew comfortable living with Ragnar and his family

   Days had passed and Tova grew comfortable living with Ragnar and his family. While they were considered slaves, Athelstan and Tova were not treated as such. They were treated like a part of the family, especially Tova. Bjorn and Tova bickered and on many occasions, it nearly turned into full-on brawls, but besides that, Tova was learning to adapt to her new environment far quicker than Athelstan.

It was morning time one day, Tova was playing outside with Gyda and Bjorn when Lagertha told them it was time to eat. The three children followed Lagertha inside, only to stop when they saw Athelstan in the middle of shaving the top of his head. However, as he did so, it caused blood to drip down his forehead in the process.

Bjorn and Tova began to laugh, causing Athelstan to immediately turn to see the duo standing there alongside Lagertha and Gyda. Gyda looked concerned while Lagertha looked unamused by Bjorn and Tova laughing.

"Time for breakfast," Lagertha insisted, causing all three children to laugh before following after her.

_____

Later that night, Ragnar was sitting with Athelstan and Tova, supplying them with more ale than they had drank their entire lives.

Athelstan drunkenly burped, groaning and shaking his head as he watched Ragnar pour another cup of ale for him. "No, no more."

"We don't like those in our house to go hungry or thirsy," Ragnar insisted and Tova smiled slightly, smart enough to realize Ragnar was getting Athelstan drunk on purpose.

Ragnar turned and smiled at her, realizing she was catching on. He wanted answers out of Athelstan and her. While it was obvious Tova would give answers about England without being manipulated into doing so, there were still some things she didn't know, of which Ragnar intended to get out of Athelstan.

"I mean, look at Tova. She is having the time of her life," Ragnar continued on, causing Tova to chuckle in amusement.

"She is ten and she is drunk," Athelstan argued, causing Tova to smile and roll her eyes.

"I am very curious about England," Ragnar confessed, glancing between the duo, "Does it have one king who rules over the whole country?"

"Not even close," Tova laughed as she shook her head, leading to Ragnar turning to her, "There are many kingdoms in England. Four, in fact. And four kings to rule them."

"She is right. You landed in the kingdom of Northumbria," Athelstan added into what Tova was saying, "The King of Northumbria is called Aelle. He is a great king."

"No, he is not," Tova cut Athelstan off, earning an annoyed look from Athelstan, "I've never been outside the walls of the Monastery and still, I know King Aelle is nothing but a fat coward that doesn't deserve to be king. He is a usurper and an illegitimate king."