23

SPOILS OF WAR
— 23. Healing Wounds

 Healing Wounds

    It was noontime when the Vikings saw a rider approaching. The moment they saw it to be Athelstan, everyone seemed to gather around. Bjorn sighed and walked forward, hoping the man would have information about Tova.

Athelstan climbed off his horse and smiled slightly at the sight of Bjorn walking over to them. "Hello, Bjorn," He greeted the young woman in a calm. He had grown quite a lot since he last saw him, "Do you remember me?"

"Of course I remember you," Bjorn replied with a smile on his face, "I wanted to kill you when I was a child. And then I loved you. Just as I grew to love Tova, too."

"I know how close you and Tova were. You had a bond I could never understand. One moment, you hated each other and wanted to kill each other, the next you loved each other," Athelstan explained in a calm tone before he glanced around at the rest of the group that had formed around them, "I want you all to know that Tova is alive. Wounded, but alive, and being taken care of," He informed them, causing Ragnar to smile widely and sigh in relief.

Athelstan glanced around. He stopped when his eyes locked on Horik and he nodded his head slightly. "King Horik."

"Why have you come, Athelstan?" Lagertha spoke up as she walked closer to the man, "Did you escape?"

"I came here to talk to you," He replied in a calm tone.

"King Ecbert sends you!" Horik exclaimed, making it loud enough for everyone to hear, "You do his bidding. You are one of them."

"He offers you a chance for peace," Athelstan corrected him calmly, ignoring what Horik had said, "He wants to talk of many things with you. Good things."

"Yes, and then kill us," Horik snapped at the man coldly.

"No. He will not, I swear," Athelstan argued and Horik glared at him, "I know him."

"You are his dog. You lick his fingers," Horik complained, earning an eye roll from Ragnar, "You lick his arsehole."

Hearing his words, numerous men began to laugh, even Floki.

"I really like your new clothes, Athelstan," Floki suddenly spoke up as he walking closer to the priest in a taunting manner, "And your hair. Very nice."

"Is King Ecbert prepared to offer us a hostage?" Lagertha asked Athelstan curiously as Floki circled Athelstan.

"Yes. He wants to reassure you, in any way he can, of his honest intentions," Athelstan replied as he tried to ignore Floki's childish antics.

"Then we shall meet him," She decided, causing Horik to turn to her in confusion.

"Who are you to say?" Horik snapped at her with an attitude.