25

SPOILS OF WAR
— 25. King of Kattegat

    On the cliffs overlooking Kattegat, Tova sat beside Ragnar, wrapped in a large fur cloak

    On the cliffs overlooking Kattegat, Tova sat beside Ragnar, wrapped in a large fur cloak. More than a year had passed since Ragnar had become king. Tova was now eighteen and it seemed as though instead of enjoying her life as a grown adult, she was stuck in Kattegat as Ragnar insisted on giving her as many life lessons as he could.

"When the ice finally breaks, we will go back to Wessex and claim the land that King Ecbert promised us. You know that was my dream," Ragnar explained to Tova as they sat together on the cliff, "You know it more than anyone."

Tova let out a large breath, smiling widely at the thought. "I feel my blood warming already," She admitted as she stood up from her seat on the ground, "I am fully healed now and I cannot wait to return to Wessex. I want to fight, I want to raid once more."

"Why do you want to fight?" Ragnar suddenly asked as he watched Tova walked closer to the edge of the cliff to look down at their home, "What are you fighting for?"

"For my home, for my family," She admitted with a small smile on her face.

"Not to become famous?" He questioned as he raised a brow at his daughter.

"I do not care about fame. I only wish to explore and find new places for our people to settle," She explained and Ragnar smiled in response.

"Then you and I believe the same in that aspect," Ragnar responded before he stood up and walked over to her. He glanced downwards before looking back at Tova with a questioning look on his face, "What do you see when you look down there?"

"Snow," Tova replied, a playful smile on her face.

Ragnar rolled his eyes and sighed at Tova's words. "I'm being serious," He reminded her, beginning to smile as well.

"Power," Tova answered without hesitation as her smile gradually faded, "The power of a king. The power that comes with being Ragnar Lothbrok, a man descended from Odin, a man favored by all the gods."

"Power is always dangerous Tova. It attracts the worst and corrupts the best," He informed her in a calm tone, "People like Earl Haraldson, your real father. I never asked for power. Power is only given to those who are prepared to lower themselves to pick it up. I hope that one day, you are prepared to do the same."

Hearing the man's words, Tova immediately whipped herself around to face Ragnar as he walked away. "I...I don't understand," She complained, beginning to frown in concern, "Bjorn will be king after you."

Ragnar stopped for a moment. He turned and smiled at her. "Yes, he will," He replied, just before he began to walk away once more, "But who shall be sitting on the throne beside him? That is the real question you should be asking."

With that, Ragnar walked away and Tova's lips parted. She was unable to form any words, knowing what he was getting at.

_____