7

SPOILS OF WAR
— 7. Becoming a Woman

  It was afternoon time and outside the Great Hall, Bjorn and Tova were sparring with each other

It was afternoon time and outside the Great Hall, Bjorn and Tova were sparring with each other. Bjorn held up his shield, grunting as Tova repeatedly slashed at his wooden shield with her sword. "Stop it! Stop it! Enough! You won, you won," He pleaded and Tova laughed in amusement.

She slowly backed away, turning her back to him as she felt satisfied about beating him once more.

Bjorn lowered his shield, only to have his eyes widen in concern at the sight of blood staining the back of Tova's dress.

"Tova! You're bleeding!" He exclaimed worriedly as he rushed forward, "Are you alright?"

Tova frowned at Bjorn's words. She turned to face him and pulled the back of her dress up slightly. She looked down, only to groan in annoyance at the sight of the blood staining her dress. She was having her first monthly bleeding.

"We must find someone. We must find my mother! She'll know how to treat you," Bjorn insisted as he began to pace around, clearly not knowing what was happening to her, "Did I hurt you? I'm sorry. I didn't mean to, I swear—"

"Bjorn, I'm fine," Tova assured Bjorn as she gave him an aggravated look.

"You're not fine. You're hurt! We must go see my mother," He insisted as he grabbed Tova by her hand, preparing to lead her back to the Great Hall.

"I'll go alone," Tova argued as she tugged her arm out of Bjorn's grasp.

"You can't go alone. You're hurt," He complained, causing Tova to groan loudly in annoyance.

"It's normal. I can deal with this on my own," She assured him and despite being hesitant, Bjorn sighed and nodded his head.

He backed up, watching nervously as Tova walked back to the Great Hall with a hand placed over her gut.

It wasn't long before Tova arrived at Lagertha's room. She walked into the room, finding Lagertha sitting on her bed with her hands placed on top of her growing belly.

The moment Tova entered, Lagertha turned, a smile forming on the woman's lips. "Tova," She greeted the girl happily, "What is it, child?"

"I am bleeding," She informed Lagertha, whose smiled faded as she frowned in concern, "I was sparring with Bjorn. He became worried when he saw the blood on my dress. He thought I was dying."

Realizing what was going on, Lagertha began to smile, amused by the thought of Bjorn freaking out over such a thing. "Come here," She insisted as she held her hand out to Tova.

Tova walked forward, grabbing ahold of Lagertha's hand before she sat beside her.

Lagertha smiled widely, wasting no time wrapping an arm around Tova. "I'm sure you were never given the chance to be prepared for such a thing while living with all men in England."