10

SPOILS OF WAR
— 10. Corrupt

    A battle had occurred between King Horik and Ragnar against Jarl Borg

A battle had occurred between King Horik and Ragnar against Jarl Borg. Ragnar had won, but that didn't mean he wasn't defeated in another way. Rollo had betrayed them and sided with Jarl Borg. And during the battle, he had killed Arne and fatally wounded Floki.

When they arrived back in Kattegat, nobody seemed to be happy. News soon reached them that Thyri, Siggy's daughter, and Tova's sister, had died. The saddest news of all, however, was that Gyda had died from the plague as well and that broke Tova's heart most of all.

Rollo had been taken back to Kattegat as well as a prisoner, but Tova knew for a fact that Ragnar would not be able to bring himself to kill his own brother.

It was nighttime and Tova sat in the Great Hall with Bjorn, Ragnar, Lagertha, Siggy, and Athelstan.

"One-eyed died," Ragnar informed the group, causing Athelstan's eyes to widen in shock.

"Arne?" Athelstan asked in disbelief and Ragnar nodded.

Ragnar inhaled sharply, turning to look directly at Siggy. "Rollo killed him. And Floki may not survive for he is badly wounded."

"This was not your quarrel," Lagertha argued in a calm tone, "You should not have become involved. Look what has happened!"

"No man can walk through life without things happening to him, Lagertha," Ragnar complained in annoyance.

"You choose," She reminded him, causing Ragnar to slam his bowl down before he turned to her with an annoyed look on his face.

"Yes. I chose. And Rollo chose," He replied in an aggravated tone, "And Rollo's choice led to all this!"

"Don't argue you two," Bjorn scolded his parents, causing the duo to turn to look at him.

"Bjorn is right," Tova spoke up in a soft whisper, "Now is not the time."

"I am weary and I'm blood-sickened, and that is the truth," Ragnar told Lagertha after a long moment of silence.

"Who is Aslaug?" Lagertha suddenly asked, causing Tova to lift her head as her eyes widened in shock.

Ragnar grunted angrily, throwing his plate to the ground. "Stop," He demanded in a low tone.

"Who is Aslaug?" She asked once more, clearly not going to stop until she got her answer.

"She's a Gotaland Princess," Ragnar responded in a calm tone, "We met her over there."

"You just met her?" Lagertha questioned Ragnar accusingly.

"Lagertha," Siggy spoke up, giving Lagertha a warning look.

Lagertha glanced at her, just before looking back at Ragnar.