11

SPOILS OF WAR
— 11. Severed Ties

   That night, a feast was held and Tova sat across from Ragnar, beside Bjorn and Athelstan

That night, a feast was held and Tova sat across from Ragnar, beside Bjorn and Athelstan. It was awkward amongst the group and Tova watched as a small lamb climbed onto the table. After all, since it was winter, Ragnar and Lagertha had decided to keep all the livestock in the Great Hall with them.

Tova smiled, picking up the lamb before placing it in her lap. She smiled, affectionately stroking its head. She turned, noticing how awkward Ragnar looked as he sat between Lagertha and Aslaug. He raised his brows at her and Tova laughed, shaking her head at him.

"Bjorn told me that your mother was the shield-maiden, Brunhilde, of whom we've all heard?" Lagertha asked Aslaug curiously, deciding to finally make conversation.

"It's true. Although she died when I was very young," Aslaug informed her as she turned to look directly at Lagertha.

"And your father?" Lagertha questioned and Aslaug smiled proudly.

"My father was Sigurd," She responded, a proud look on her face.

"Sigurd...?" Lagertha asked curiously, "Just Sigurd?"

"No, I mean the Sigurd who, according to the sagas, killed the dragon Fafnir," She explained and Tova turned, exchanging an awkward look with Bjorn and Athelstan.

"Then your father is also a hero," Lagertha realized and Aslaug smiled.

"People talk about him, it's true. And I'm proud that he was my father...but I never knew him," She confessed and as she did so, she briefly turned to give Ragnar a hinting look.

Noticing, Tova groaned and rolled her eyes as she took a large sip of her ale.

"What about your parents?" Aslaug asked Lagertha curiously.

Lagertha hummed in response. "They were just farmers."

"Surely nobody is just a farmer," Aslaug commented, but Tova couldn't help but feel as though Aslaug was only saying that to make herself seem better than Lagertha.

"Believe me, princess, that is exactly what some people are, and are happy to be," Lagertha snapped at Aslaug in a low tone.

"Forgive me," Aslaug replied and Tova turned, exchanging a look with Siggy, "Do you remember me, Bjorn? Do you remember when we stood in front of the tree of life?"

"It wasn't Yggdrasil. It was just a tree," Bjorn replied with an attitude.

"You're right. We both know that." Aslaug replied as she smiled at Bjorn kindly, "It creates a bond between us."

"I don't think so. We don't have any bond. I don't want any bond with you," Bjorn snapped at her coldly and Tova let out a small giggle.

Ragnar turned, lightly kicking Tova underneath the table.