40

SPOILS OF WAR
— 40. Unwanted Visitor

 Unwanted Visitor

  In the mountains, Tova grunted as she weakly made her way up, using her shield to support herself before she could fall. She looked around and smiled at the sight of the scenery, which made up for all the pain she was experiencing.

The wind picked up and so did the snow, causing her to squint as she continued to travel up the mountain. She suddenly stopped, removing her hood as she looked ahead to lock eyes on the cabin.

She smiled, sighing in relief before she walked in the direction of the cabin.

______

  Days had passed and Tova began to get used to living on the mountain. It was morning time and it was snowing. Tova had traveled to where she knew a frozen lake was located and once shoveling up some of the snow, she used to a spear she had created to stab into the ice.

After a moment, she grabbed her ax, grunting as she used all her strength to break the ice. She grunted and fell into a kneel, taking out the bait from her pocket before attaching it to the piece of twin she had brought with her. She waited patiently to feel any sign of a fish latching itself onto the bait but sighed when several moments had passed and she felt nothing.

Hours had passed before Tova had finally caught herself some food. She continued to pull the string until fish emerged from the water. She sighed in relief and removed the fish from the string, wasting no time snapping off its head.

She wasted no time returning home and set a fire for herself outside. She placed it down to cook, only to frown when she turned to see her cabin's door a crack open. It shouldn't have been open. She closed it before leaving and she made sure the day she first arrived that no wind would be able to blow it open.

Slowly standing up, Tova unsheathed her ax before walking toward the door. She cautiously walked in, her ax raised. She looked around until she spotted a figure standing inside with their back facing her. They were large, wearing a fur cloak.

She slowly stepped toward them with her ax raised. The floorboards ended up creaking due to her movement, causing the unknown person to whip themselves around to face her. They roughly grabbed her arm and slammed her against the wall, causing her to grunt as her back collided with the wall.

She stared up at the person, shocked when she found it to be Bjorn. "Bjorn?" She asked in disbelief and roughly shoved the young male off of her.

"Tova?" Bjorn questioned, staring at her in disbelief.

"What are you doing here?" The duo asked each other at the same time, causing them both to roll their eyes.

"You first," Tova insisted and Bjorn sighed in annoyance.