12

SPOILS OF WAR
— 12. Four Years Later

  Four years ended up passing since the day Bjorn had left with his mother and Tova had met Finnr

Four years ended up passing since the day Bjorn had left with his mother and Tova had met Finnr. A lot had changed since then.

What ended up starting as a friendship between Tova and Finnr had soon turned into a relationship when they both became older.

Tova was happy being with Finnr while also being a shieldmaiden in training and the adopted daughter of Ragnar Lothbrok. Ragnar Lothbrok found himself unable to find true happiness with Lagertha and Bjorn absent from his life. In a way, he did find happiness while spending time with Tova. She was his daughter in his eyes and she filled the void in his heart left by Bjorn and Lagertha.

He hadn't heard from them since they had left and it had been four years. He now had two sons, Ubbe and Hvitserk, and Aslaug was pregnant with yet another child.

Tova felt empty without that part of her family as well, and she tried her hardest to fill that void. In a way, she did, but deep down, she knew she longed to see Lagertha and most of all, Bjorn again. And soon enough, she would.

It was snowing outside and Tova was standing across from Finnr, laughing as he threw a ball of snow in her direction.

She let out a large laugh and ducked, just before picking up some snow from the ground. She threw it, laughing loudly when it hit him in the face.

"Oh, you're going to pay for that," Finnr commented in a low tone and Tova chuckled as Finnr began to chase after her.

Soon enough, he caught up to her and wrapped his arms around her from the back. She smiled and he let go of her. She turned to face him, slowly backing up until her back was leaning against a nearby cabin.

She smiled up at him as he walked over to her. He cupped her face in his hands, just before they began to kiss. They kissed for a long while until Tova pulled away, letting out a large sigh as she smiled softly. "I must go," She told him in a soft tone, "Ragnar is expecting me. I must train."

"But you train every day," Finnr pouted as he stared down at her, placing his hand on the side of her face, "Can't you skip today and spend the day with me?"

Tova laughed in amusement and shook her head. "You wish," She replied as she leaned closer, kissing him once more.

Slowly, she pulled away, on the verge of walking away when Finnr grabbed her hand. She smiled, playfully rolling her eyes as she turned to him. They briefly kissed once more, only to immediately pull away from each other when Ragnar appeared in front of them.

They sighed, exchanging an annoyed look with each other before turning to Ragnar. "Are you two finished?" He asked them in an annoyed tone.

Tova smiled at Ragnar in amusement and shook her head. She exchanged a look with Finnr, just before beginning to walk away with Ragnar. "That wasn't nice."