19

SPOILS OF WAR
— 19. Jealousy

    It was snowing outside, but inside the Great Hall of Kattegat, Ragnar sat beside Tova in front of the fire in the middle of the room

It was snowing outside, but inside the Great Hall of Kattegat, Ragnar sat beside Tova in front of the fire in the middle of the room. Ragnar held a mouse by its tail, watching as Horik walked in with his son and a few other men.

"Are you going to proceed with the execution of Jarl Borg?" Horik asked and without a care in the world, Ragnar killed the mouse he held by slamming it down on the table in front of him.

"I am," Ragnar answered calmly as he began to skin the mouse while also having a casual conversation with Horik.

"I understand your reasons. At the same time, without Jarl Borg's ships and warriors, we cannot hope to mount a successful raid on Wessex," Horik explained in a calm tone.

"Then we will find another ally," Ragnar suggested as if it were easier to do such a thing.

"When?" Horik asked Ragnar impatiently.

"Soon," Ragnar answered calmly, "I have sent out word."

Tova turned and watched Horik closely. Realizing what he was getting at, she let out a large scoff. "Are you seriously suggesting that Ragnar should reprieve Jarl Borg as if nothing has happened?"

"No, I am merely asking you to stay your hand until another ally is found. The execution of Jarl Borg made public would surely discourage and deter any possible partners," Horik explained and Tova rolled her eyes at the man.

She sighed deeply and turned to Ragnar, the two of them exchanging a look.

"Fine," Ragnar answered in a calm tone, "I shall wait," He informed him and Horik nodded, turning to leave with his son, "But at least we are still allies, King Horik."

Horik stopped and turned to Ragnar, trying to hide his uneasiness. "I want my revenge on King Ecbert and I shall have it. Come what may," He told Ragnar, just before leaving the room.

"He will betray you sooner or later. He does not like that you view them to be equals," Tova informed Ragnar and the man nodded, already knowing that she was right, "He will turn against you soon enough, just as Jarl Borg has."

____

In the Great Hall, Ragnar was crouched down in front of Ubbe and Hvitserk, telling them a story as Bjorn and Tova sat nearby.

Bjorn looked annoyed, rolling his eyes at the story while Tova was smiling. Aslaug watched on as well, trying to contain her amusement as she placed her face in her hands.

Ragnar soon walked over to Ubbe and Hvitserk, telling them it was bedtime. He lifted them both with one hand, just before carrying them to their rooms.

Deciding it was time to leave as well, Tova stood up and left the room, heading to the room she now shared with Bjorn.

Once she was gone, Ragnar walked over to Bjorn, smiling as he took a seat beside his eldest son. "What is troubling you?"